Weight Distribution Hitch Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

I know another WDH question!

I want to upgrade my cheap chain type WDH with the almost useless friction bar sway controller.  Which the RV dealer that included it with the trailer said basically "don't bother using the sway  bar". 

My requirements are

Trailer Jayfeather 242  6500 GVWR,. 27'6"  Hitch to bumper.
Be effective but not too expensive.  I know the ProPrides are probably very good but that is a lot of money (especially up here in Canada)

They really seem to vary in complexity and price any recommendations?

What weight/size should I get, and a good source.

Thanks for the help.

What are the specs on the TV? Have you towed with that you have? If not, that is not a large TT so you may be able to get by with what you have.

hoss10 said:
I want to upgrade my cheap chain type WDH with the almost useless friction bar sway controller.  Which the RV dealer that included it with the trailer said basically "don't bother using the sway  bar". 

What makes you think the friction bar is useless, other than that's what the dealer said? I like ours, and it definitely makes a difference in controlling some wind effects, passing semi trucks, etc.

I have used the sway controller and towing with or without it I felt very little difference.  I also managed to bend the support (since bent back) and I don't remember ever backing up.
I have ordered a new truck a Ford F150 Heavy Duty, Max Tow so lots of payload and capacity so I have never towed with it.
My present TV is a 2007 Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 small motor.  It tows well but is a little under powered in hills.

I have heard so many good things about other WDH that I thought while changing TV I would get a better WDH and upgrade it as well.  It would also be nice to be able to use a sway control which would not have to be removed when backing up.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom