Water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrvlShell

We're getting ready to take our first trip in our first RV (travel trailer) and I'm trying to make sure we have everything we need.  For the water hookup, we have the fresh water hose and water pressure regulator.  Do we need to get a water filter?  I've been looking at the Camco TastePure inline water filter - is that what we'd need?  Thanks!

I refuse to pay for bottled water but your question is rather complex and there is in fact no way to answer it less you have been there (The campground to which you are going) and done that (Drank the water)

I recommend at the minimum a taste and odor (Activated charcoal) filter.

However be aware the filters designed with "micron" ratings, (Size of partical) the smaller the "micron" number the more it will restrict flow.

My current filter has no such rating, it is granular activated charcoal and filter floss. nothign more. 

I have a PUR pitcher in the fridge for drinking, beats the price tag off those expensive bottles.

We have been RV'ing for the past thirty and never used a water filter, but we use spring water for our drinking water.

jack L

John From Detroit said:
I refuse to pay for bottled water but your question is rather complex and there is in fact no way to answer it less you have been there (The campground to which you are going) and done that (Drank the water)

I recommend at the minimum a taste and odor (Activated charcoal) filter.

However be aware the filters designed with "micron" ratings, (Size of partical) the smaller the "micron" number the more it will restrict flow.

My current filter has no such rating, it is granular activated charcoal and filter floss. nothign more. 

I have a PUR pitcher in the fridge for drinking, beats the price tag off those expensive bottles.

I also refuse to pay for bottled water.  Whether you need a filter or not depends on many factors, first how important is clean water to you and the quality of water where you will be camping.  At a minimum you will want a filter to remove any sediment that may or may not be present to protect your RV plumbing.  After that it becomes a matter of how important clean water is to you.  If you are not going to be camping frequently, one of the single RV filters should do the trick.  They are typically an all-in-one filter where they remove sediment and have some carbon to improve taste.

Why filter the entire water source and not just the water you use for drinking, with something like a Pur, as John mentioned? Campground water will at least be fine for the toilet, shower, hand and dish washing.

Every campground water supply should meet the state's requirement for potable water, or they would have to label the supply as such. Granted, some water is better than others, but should still be drinkable. A properly sanitized RV freshwater system is no more dirty or unsafe than the water system in your house. I don't understand the problem with drinking it. If the water does have a lot of iron or off taste, then just use the appropriate filter(s) to fix. But then again, there's folks that don't use the toilet in an RV either. (I don't understand that either)

depends where you live. We live in Laughlin/Bullhead city area.  Here its bad for your dishes/pets and appliances.    Leaves white residue on everything and plumbing.  I HATE THE WATER HERE!!!!

Saw some inline water filters at ACE hardware the other day and thought might be good idea for RV...  Since moving here a year ago.  I broke my standing rule about not drinking bottled water:(

gravesdiesel said:
Why filter the entire water source and not just the water you use for drinking, with something like a Pur, as John mentioned? Campground water will at least be fine for the toilet, shower, hand and dish washing.

My "Whole house" filter is a length of PVC pipe. I recommend 2" (CPVC to be precise) with reducers on the ends down to hose fittings.
Construction is like this.. NOTE: I did it a bit different (Will cover at end)

From the male hose fitting, use reducers up to 2", install a stainless steel shower drain cover (Cut to size) in the bottom of the last reducer and then glue the 2" pipe in.

ON the other end of the pipe (about 1-1.5 feet long) a threaded (female) adapter and from we are going to fill the pipe as follows
About half full of FILTER FLOSS (Fish isle at your favorite pet store)
A pint of Activated Charcoal. the basic stuff. not the stuff with algaecide
A bit more floss
Another stainless steel drain cover (with legs pointing out)
Screw in reducers (Brass or plastic) down to a female hose fitting.

How I did it.
I put a threaded coupler near one end and used all glued on fittings, The inlet Drain cover is done the same as the outlet.. But this was a first attempt

I also used 3" pipe which is a bit "Tough" to work with, Had to buy special wrenches.

This catches debris and does decent work for Taste/Odor. but it's not nearly as good as the PUR in the fridge.

There are indeed places that have water that tastes poorly, at least if it's not the water you grew up on. And in some of those the mineral residue can clog water heaters, check valves and faucet screens.  Health is not much of an issue becasue the campgorund is a regulated public water supply that has to meet health codes, but your personal standards may be higher.

Basic filters like the Camco TastePure will remove sediment (typically sand or iron rust) and little else. If you want mineral salts, chlorine or microorganisms  removed, you will want a much better filtering system.  I personally don't use them unless I know I'm going where the water tastes really poor, but that's a personal call. I drink water out of hoses too!  :eek:

Learn more about water filtering at https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABCS.htm

We use a Camco filter on our external hose to filter the big stuff out and to prolong the life of our much finer filter under the kitchen faucet that makes poor-tasting water reasonably good.  We got that mostly because we used to own a camping lot that had a bad sulfur taste to the water.  But it?s been useful in various places throughout our travels.  Can?t have crummy water messing up our morning coffee or evening scotch...

Old Blevins said:
We use a Camco filter on our external hose to filter the big stuff out and to prolong the life of our much finer filter under the kitchen faucet that makes poor-tasting water reasonably good.  We got that mostly because we used to own a camping lot that had a bad sulfur taste to the water.  But it?s been useful in various places throughout our travels.  Can?t have crummy water messing up our morning coffee or evening scotch...
Same. The filter at the hose is a Camco which uses house-sized filters available at any hardware store, I use the basic charcoal version. Then also have the under sink version, so water from the drinking water tap actually tastes so good I just refill water bottles and reuse them until they break (probably get 100+ uses). Water is indistinguishable from bottled after being double filtered.

Thanks everyone for all the info/advice!  (Was travelling and had spotty internet the past few days so this is the first chance I've had to respond).  And Gary - Thank  you for the link about water filtering - great info!

Old Blevins said:

X3. I still occasionally have to clean crude off of the screen on the fresh water intake.

Back
Top Bottom