Spare Tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iron Horse

We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey 36G diesel which is on a Freightliner Chassis.  My question concerns the wheels.....the front has an aluminum wheel with the hub out and the rear has an aluminum wheel  with the hub turned in with a steel wheel on the inside rear....my question is will a steel wheel with the proper bolt circle and correct tire size work on any wheel position for use as a spare...Thanks

I don't think the front and rear wheels are interchangeable, they look completely different. If you have a flat, call road service and they will replace the tire on that wheel (or rim.)

On a dual wheel vehicle the rear tires will fit on the front axle simply by turning the wheel inside out. I have driven large trucks and they only carry one spare which fits both axles. I hope this holds true for the motorhome since it is just a truck chassis.................

anybody carry just the spare (no rim)??  It was suggested to me that it is easy to find someone to change the tire in comparison to finding the tire!

I carried a spare tire on the roof of our Jeep Liberty when we went to Alaska. Waste of money not to mention I got tired of all of the jokes. There's road service everywhere, sometimes you might have to wait a while and they might not have your first choice for a replacement tire. No big deal. These tires are incredibly tough and if you replace them every five or six years they won't let you down.

I don't do it, but there are some reasons to consider it:

1. Some tires sizes are not in common use on commercial vehicles and may take a day or tow to get delivered from the tire warehouse
2. If you have a strong brand preference, carrying your own assures you get the brand you want
3. You can shop around for best price rather than paying whatever the road service decides to charge

The reasons I myself do NOT do it:
1. Tire failures are rare in the large sizes used on Class A motorhomes
2. The expensive tire dies of old age without ever getting used, so it's a waste of money
3. It takes up a lot of space in the bays and mine were always full anyway

Back
Top Bottom