Cost to fill a propane tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant21b

Cost to fill a 20lb or 4.7 gallon propane tank. Average across U.S.A.

Anywhere from  $12-$25, depending on region and  the type of sales outlet. Some outlets are strictly per gallon pricing while others may tack on a fixed service charge.

In IL, it's around $15 for a tank exchange, and maybe $10-12 if you get your tank filled (20lb BBQ tank). 

I fill our coach's tank at a local equipment rental place.  It's quite cheap - I don't think I've had to put more than $10-15 in it yet.

A local shop near our upstate NY cottage advertises 20# LP refills at $9.00. Another refiller near there just had their annual Mother's Day weekend half-price LP sale with 20# refills at $5.00. If I could have gotten a set of wheels under it, I would have taken my 320 gallon bulk tank over there... ;)

BJ's in Millsboro De is $10.49 for 20#, $16.39 for 30#. Suburban Propane in Millsboro has 20# refills for $10.00 on Thursdays starting the 24th of this month, and $2.00/gallon to fill motorhome tanks on Thursdays. Tractor supply in Seaford is $2.99/gallon

My local hardware store gets $2.79/gallon, but a campground a few miles away charges a flat $25 for a 20# tank refill.  A local exchange place is $19.99 per tank, but you don't get a full tank for that price anymore - it's only about 3.5 gallons.  A Flying J fuel station near me gets $3.20/gallon.

The last time I got mine filled at an Ace Hardware, they charged $3.79/gal. Getting propane is one of the few times I will gladly go to a CW because on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, they have 25% off their propane. The last time I went there, it was about $2.58/gal.

Propane varies widely here in So Cal. The last time I filled a bunch of tanks(April) it was
at a Tractor Supply Co. and the propane was 1.99 gal. Price range from a low of $1.99
to a high of $4.79 so unless it's an emergency guess where I go  :) :)

I checked prices here this morning and most of the truckstops supplying propane are at $3.19 per gallon. A local rental center quoted me a flat rate of $16 for a 20# tank.

While this thread has correctly discussed REFILL prices, allow me to remind the lurkers out there that tank exchange is the expensive way to go.  It is almost always cheaper to refill the tank you have, AND you end up with 20# of propane in your 20# tank.  Exchange tanks normally are only filled to 15# or 18#,  RARELY filled to 20#.  Read the fine print on the exchange cage.

My understanding is either your tank or an exchange tank is only filled to 80 percent per regulations. I want to know what Canadian and Alaska prices are as
well. I want to keep my own tanks because they have 9 years before recertification who knows what the date is on an exchange tank.

Your understanding on 80% are correct. Myself and probably a few others consider 80% "full" As grashley said, exchange tanks like Blue Rhino only have 15# in them, not 20#. They used to be 17 1/2#, but went to 15# about a year or so ago. A 20# bottle holds 20# of propane at 80% fill. Some folks get confused or misinformed on this and assume 80% of 20# is full, and it's not.

My understanding is either your tank or an exchange tank is only filled to 80 percent per regulations.
You are correct but that is not the issue here.  The propane "full" capacity of a 20# BBQ tank is 80% of the tanks water capacity, but the 4.7 gallons you cited previously is for propane, meaning it has already taken the 80% into account.  The exchange tanks are a further reduction of that, generally 75-80% of the original 80%.

LP tanks and bottles are measured based their water capacity (WC) because liquid water doesn't change volume much at common temperatures, whereas gaseous propane changes dramatically.  The propane has to be greatly compressed to even get it to a liquid state at temperatures in the 30-100 F. range.  In order to price and sell LP by the gallon rather than the cubic ft, the measurement has to be made as the liquified gas leaves the storage tank and is still under pressure.

ant21b said:
Cost to fill a 20lb or 4.7 gallon propane tank. Average across U.S.A.

Another advantage to country living....we fill our bottles at home. The cost...approximately $1.80/ gallon.  That makes it approximately, $9.00 for a 20 pounder.  ?

On a recent 5 week trip, we had to have a bottle filled....first time in about 20 years. Talk about ?sticker shock?!  ?

Purchased 16.3 gallons yesterday at State Trailer in Peoria, AZ for $35.70  ($2.19 per gallon).  Another RV supply store was priced at $3 per gallon.

Got 500 gal.tank, at home filled yesterday - 1.99/gasl.  He filled the RV tank and 4 smaller 20 lb. tanks while here.

Back
Top Bottom