Cost to fill a propane tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This past winter, we paid between a buck and a buck 19 for propane to heat our maintenance shop. Considerably cheaper when getting a companywide commercial discount.

kdbgoat said:
This past winter, we paid between a buck and a buck 19 for propane to heat our maintenance shop. Considerably cheaper when getting a companywide commercial discount.

Yup - AND, they bring it to you.  Go figure!

kdbgoat said:

That's similar pricing to what we pay for delivery to the 320 gallon bulk tank at our cottage through our fuel buying co-op membership. The vendor won't fill portable DOT cylinders on site, but they do fill our coach tank when we're there.

kdbgoat said:

That?s a darn good price....we haven? seen those prices in 15 or 20 years around here!

phil-t said:
Got 500 gal.tank, at home filled yesterday - 1.99/gasl.  He filled the RV tank and 4 smaller 20 lb. tanks while here.

I don?t know ?if? it is legal in your local....but if so, consider a ?thief valve/hose and fill at home! Until recently, we haven?t had to fill anywhere fo many years! Far cheaper ( most of the time) than filling while on the road!

I noted yesterday at a local Amerigas tank exchange location that it now clearly states you get 15 lbs of propane for $19.99. At 4.2 lbs/gallon, that's $5.60/gallon. A fairly steep price for the convenience of exchange rather than waiting on a refill.  It usually takes me 20 minutes to get a tank filled at the nearby hardware store, a portion of which is actually paying the fee (same as I would have to do at the exchange store)..

Propane price at Flying J / Pilot anywhere in the USA and Canada:

https://pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices/

They aren't the absolute cheapest. But they are all over, I'm probably already stopping there, and I can look at the price online first to be sure it's not a high price area and I should wait until a different stop.

I think it's clear by now that knowing a "national average" for LP would be as useless as knowing the national average for gasoline. Neither one is an indicator of what the going prices are where you are...

It helps to know because I will be traveling from California to Tennessee and then to Illinois and then into Canada and Alaska.

None in Delaware. Here's a link that one can see if any are close to one's current location:

https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locations/

NY_Dutch said:
I think it's clear by now that knowing a "national average" for LP would be as useless as knowing the national average for gasoline. Neither one is an indicator of what the going prices are where you are...

I think you?re right. And will the price of either alter our plans? Probably not mine. When gas was $.23 gallon and Budweiser was $.89 six pack I made $.65 an hour. Now gas is $2.85 gal (in Dover, DE) and I don?t drink Bud, I drink Gennesee Cream Ale which is about $2.00 a six pack and I make a butt load more than $.65 an hour. The point I?m trying to make is is if you want to use propane and you want to travel the price of the product will most likely not sway your wants. Although, there will be a point on a graph where price will alter plans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom