rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: DP owners, educate me..  (Read 1835 times)

Willandgiselarv

• ---
Re: DP owners, educate me..
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
It's the same in the boating world, there is "red diesel"
That is permitted for the boats but you will get fined if found on vehicle using roads. The red diesel is cheaper no road tax attached
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Mile High

• ---
  • Lone Tree, CO
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
Because of how much I cussed and hated DPs (even pickup) owners for excessive idle time, I really make every effort to limit my time to retracting slides and jacks.  By that time my air is ready.  What I do struggle with is time required coming in, which is just as annoying.  It takes me a little longer to park just right, then grab some pads and run the jacks and slides, all that time that hot noisy engine is interrupting someones picnic and I fee bad sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:02:55 PM by Mile High »
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
Most diesel gensets are relatively quiet compared to the big engine, so I doubt the noise complaints stem from that.   It's a possibility, though.  A related factor is that there is no a/c inside the coach once shore power is disconnected, so running the engine also enables the dash a/c to help.  Of course they could start the genset for house a/c and shut off the engine & dash a/c,  but many people will say to themselves " it's only a couple minutes more..."  If you are conscious of your neighbors, you would shut the engine down and use shore or genset if needed to heat or cool, but if you are one of the self-centered types, maybe not.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tropical36

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
Today at a nice RV park I ate my lunch outside listening to a huge pusher across from me idling as they prepared to leave. I timed it. They ran the engine for 40 minutes while they wandered around. I wanted to ask the fellow if that was something that was really necessary but thankfully my wife kept me from walking over to his site! (God love her)
     So I'll ask the forum. Was that a requirement of owning such a vehicle or just bad manners?
I agree with Gary on the 5 - 6min and sometimes a little more with what it takes for us to maybe lift and dump slide room water, when it's rained, re-level and retract the slides, retract the jacks and for my high oil pressure to settle down a bit. The thing won't really warm up much until you're moving anyway and always do that slowly, on the way out. I remember someone doing that in Grand Teton NP, once and was wondering what his problem, was. We then owned a gas rig, so wasn't sure. Could have had an air leak that was hard catching up to, I guess.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I once watched this guy in a new coach move around in this big parking areas quite a few times and with quickly shutting it down, each time. Probably without given it time enough, for his turbo to quit spinning in fact.
Dan

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT___Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model