Need one night at yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider1520

I have reservations at Grizzly RV park in June but may get there one day earlier than expected. Grizzly staff says they have no spots and no campers are permitted on the stree or in lots. Does anyone know of anywhere else we may be able to spend one night? I am also checking into prolonging our stay one more night at Cody if they have available space. Thanks

Colter Bay is a long way from Cody, but it would work. Do you need full hookups? If not, you could try getting a spot at Baker?s Hole, a Forest Service campground 3 miles north of West Yellowstone. No reservations, lots (but not all) of the sites have electricity, and it is a really nice campground. Not all sites will hold a 30? unit, but there are some. I have even seen a big tag axel rig in there. Another option is one of the Hebgen Lake Area campgrounds just a few miles father. They accept reservations. Another option would be the campgrounds between Cooke City and Yellowstone, I have never seen them full. It is a convenient spot for animal watching in the valleys. They are Forest Service campgrounds.

Thanks for the replies...any suggestions for something near Cody? We are at the KOA there on June 13th so would only need a site for Tuesday June 12. Called KOA they are full as of now.

It is only 76 miles from Cody to Cooke City. Besides the FS campgrounds between Cooke City and the park, there are also some campgrounds up the Beartooth Highway only a few miles from where the Beartooth is joined by the Chief Joseph Highway. This is well before where the Beartooth gets a bit spooky for big rig drivers. We spent a few days at a lovely campground on a lake there. Shady and lovely. Not far from Cody at all.

Here are two options for you. We have stayed at both. The first one, Green Creek Inn is 30 miles west of Cody on the highway to the East Entrance to YNP. There is a motel there too.

www.greencreekinn.com

The second one is 15 miles Northwest of West Yellowstone on Lake Hebgen. Yellowstone Holiday RV Park. Excellent place! www.yellowstoneholiday.com
Even if you spend only one night at YHRV Park, don't miss taking a drive about 15 miles west to see the site of the 1959 earthquake that created Quake Lake by damming the Madison River with the entire side of a mountain that fell off.

UTTransplant said:
Besides the FS campgrounds between Cooke City and the park, there are also some campgrounds up the Beartooth Highway only a few miles from where the Beartooth is joined by the Chief Joseph Highway.

There are several nice national forest campgrounds within about 10 miles from Cooke City, on the east side. However, there are no campgrounds of any kind, between Cooke City and the park.

There are also some national forest campgrounds a little bit west of West yellowstone. those would likely be the closest to Grizzly.

Joel

You are staying in Cody and then going to West Yellowstone.... ?? Do NOT go to Cooke thinking you are going to find a site in June, they are knee deep in snow up there now, campgrounds are NOT open...  plus a long ways out of the way, unless of course you are going into the NE entrance of Yellowstone.

There is a Wyoming State park just outside of Cody that takes reservations. And there are a few other campgrounds in Cody. IF you are going from Cody to East entrance of Yellowstone, there are quite a few campgrounds along the way. Hookups at only a couple of them, but some do take reservations, they are Forest Service campgrounds. Also, a small RV park, nothing fancy called Green Creek RV park by the Red Barn by Wapiti, Wyoming, about 20 miles out of Cody.

Lots of places to stay, just depending which direction you are going. We ran up to a couple of the campgrounds today on the road to East Entrance of Yellowstone today, campgrounds quiet!

Need more info, let us know, lived in Cody 30+ years!

Donna, Mark and Lexie

Tangle moose, we are going west from Cody to West Yellowstone and should be there around June 13th, should I expect to encounter snowy conditions on the roads? We have reservations at the Cody KOA and Grissly Campground. Is there anything that you feel I should be mindful of based on your experience?

We've stayed at Buffalo Bill State Park, west of Cody by maybe 10 miles.  Older park does not have hookups but otherwise a pretty nice park.  Also think it's first come first serve.  The newer park, a few miles further, may have electric. 

garyb1st said:
We've stayed at Buffalo Bill State Park, west of Cody by maybe 10 miles.  Older park does not have hookups but otherwise a pretty nice park.  Also think it's first come first serve.  The newer park, a few miles further, may have electric.
x2 we stayed there last year for a few nights and it was nice.... didn't take long to get into the park from there.

How much time should I allow to drive from Cody to West Yellowstone going through the park? Is going through the park the best choice? Is there a better time to go to keep the drive to a minimum?

Buffalo Bill State Park to the West Yellowstone entrance is about 1 hour depending on traffic and sight seeing.  Grizzly RV Park, which is outside the east entrance, is another 2 to 2-1/2 hour drive.  According to Google maps, it's 122 miles from park to park.  Depending on where you're coming from, it might be quicker to try another route. 

Can't say for sure, but think they're both named Buffalo Bill State Park. 

Gary, so are you saying grizzly RV park is another 2 1/2 hr from the west entrance or it the drive from Buffalo State Park to Grizzly a total f 2 1/2 hrs?

rider1520 said:
Thanks for the replies, I feel more comfortable that I can find a site once I am in the area.
Look at this place it is West on 20 not to far.
Buffalo Run RV Park & Cabins, 3402 US-20, Island Park, ID 83429
buffalorunrvpark.com, (208) 558-7112
Bill

Back
Top Bottom