sticking slide out wiper seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what does everyone use to make sure your wiper seals come all the way out like they are suppose to.  I have seen people use all kinds of household or hardware items, but is there anything made for it?  it seems like anything rough would wear out the seals prematurely.  about half way up mine never seem to come out.....drives me crazy.

Their is a spray for that.  Available in any RV store.  Make sure you use it periodically (don't know myself, I spray every third or fourth time I use the slide out).  I had a problem early on, where the bottom seal folded over, preventing me from closing the slide out.

Mine closes fine, its when I open the slide that the seal comes half way , some of it stays flipped inward

Usually, slide wipers are just that, and not seals per se; They help remove water that has accumulated on the roof of the slideout while extended. Slideouts normally 'seal' against the outer (retracted) or inner (exrended) wall of the RV.

We had the same issue with our slide wipers not correctly flipping when we first got our coach. The original fix was to use some 'rough' adhesive tape, but it tore up the wipers. While at a factory service center, they replaced the wipers and applied an adhesive tape that had a textured surface on the outer side. This reliably flips the wipers. After more than 10 years, I don't see it any damage to the wipers. I have photos of the tape, but can't get to them right now.

Is the pix what you're talking about? Kind of bothers me but I have not figured a good solution. Maybe a spatula?

Attachments

• 20180322_112135.jpg
    20180322_112135.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 22
Here are photos of the "good" tape they installed around our slideouts.

Attachments

• Slideout tape 1b.jpg
    Slideout tape 1b.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 25
  • slideout tape 2b.jpg
    slideout tape 2b.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19
  • slideout tape 3b.jpg
    slideout tape 3b.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 24
oldschoolhdmike said:
have any idea where I can get some.

Sorry, I don't, nor did I make a note of the manufacturer.

does it seem to be wearing out your seals?

As I mentioned earlier, I see no wear of the wipers after more than 10 years of use.

A very quick google search for "cultured tape" turned up this company. Their "barefoot friendly" tape, or their "gray safety tape" might work. You could also email them and ask if they have a tape that will work for you.

Ours was sticking as well and last year a guy next to us in a state park told us to use baby powder on the flaps. We did and have had no more sticking. We use it every other time we take it out. Only takes about five minutes to do the three slides.

ro1459 said:
Ours was sticking as well and last year a guy next to us in a state park told us to use baby powder on the flaps. We did and have had no more sticking. We use it every other time we take it out. Only takes about five minutes to do the three slides.

I use the baby powder, (the talc not the cornstarch) but it will make the flipping issue even worse.  The sticking you mention is the reason I use it.  Where the wiper rides against the painted surface, rubber sticks to the paint and gets ugly, and extreme sticking might start a tear.  The OP has a problem getting the wiper to flip and it is friction that causes it to flip, baby powder reduces friction.  He should do both the tape and the baby powder.

oldschoolhdmike said:
have any idea where I can get some.  does it seem to be wearing out your seals?
Tom's pix almost look like the stuff on steps so you do not slip. I still do not know where to purchase, but that's what it looks like. Maybe search for, "Non-slip step tape".

Here's a non-abrasive anti-slip tape on Amazon. It has a cultured rubber surface. I merely searched on 'barefoot' and 'anti slip/skid'. Vary the search terms, and lots of options come up, but stay away from any that say 'abrasive', because they'd wear our the slide wipers.

I've tried silicone spray, and waxing the ends of my slides real good. My living room slide has windows in the ends and about 50% of the time the seals do that too. I just started using my awning rod and pull the seal out after extending the slides. Takes all of a couple minutes to do all 4 seals. Mine were actually worse after using the spray on the seals.

Back
Top Bottom