'85 Full gut & Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice carpet in the cabin area, I'm now leaning to that type in ours if, I ever get that far. Camping this year or next?

Graycat, yeah the shower is designed to be roll-in, as you call it. It'll also be a wet bath once we install our airhead composting toilet into the back end of the shower.

The AC did replace a skylight.  The installation was very easy for that reason (no need to cut a hole). Because our RV is only 23' bumper to bumper I think it'll be plenty.

Deano, thanks! The carpet was leftover from a construction project so the price was right.  The addition of Dynomat is gonna make all the difference in terms of road noise and vibrations too.

More soon!

There was not power but there was a piece of conduit through the ceiling ready to feed the power wire through and down to the breaker box.  I had to source a 20 amp breaker which was no problem online, $20 delivered to my door that fit the breaker box.

Steamboater said:
Graycat, yeah the shower is designed to be roll-in, as you call it. It'll also be a wet bath once we install our airhead composting toilet into the back end of the shower.

The AC did replace a skylight.  The installation was very easy for that reason (no need to cut a hole). Because our RV is only 23' bumper to bumper I think it'll be plenty.

Deano, thanks! The carpet was leftover from a construction project so the price was right.  The addition of Dynomat is gonna make all the difference in terms of road noise and vibrations too.

More soon!
It looks much bigger than that!  Did the RV originally have a roof air?  It's really looking good.

We have purchased a 96' Itasca sunrise, with the plans to fully gut it and remodel it, based on Art Deco era train interiors. Can I ask some basic questions about the gutting process - is there anything you learned about the order in which it comes apart most easily? I don't think we will be doing any major re-arranging like you did with the shower (although the wider bed is a little tempting.) All the photos are on my partner's phone, except this inspiration image, that shows the mood we will be aiming for with decor. Lots of faux wood, and leather instead of woven fabrics. Your thread is one of the only ones I've found with the scale of project we are about to take on!

P.S. It never occured to me, before researching, how incredibly similar suites on vintage train cars were to the layout of RVs.

Attachments

• OEInterior.jpg
    OEInterior.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 58
OrientExpress, if you have the skills to make an RV look like the picture, you've got more skills than I do!  That wood work is beautiful! In terms of the gutting process, it comes out in the order that the sawzall gets to it :D Demo is the easy part.  You may want to rent a dumpster because there is quite a lot of stuff in there, and I'd recommend gloves, safety glasses and a mask for some of the nastier parts of the teardown.  Be sure to keep us posted!

Wow that looks fun, and a lot of hard work lol. One thing I learned when gutting mine...most walls, cabinets and furniture are stapled in place with about 10,000 staples and they are stapled from the outside before the final exterior is installed. So take care when you remove items. I have some pretty ugly rips in the interior ceiling and a side wall from removing stuff. I removed bathroom walls. I'm hoping to find some moulding to cover the staple gouged in the ceiling.

Steamboater said:
Installed carpet in the cockpit yesterday.  Still kinda slow progress but pieces are coming together and I expect some more sizable progress in the coming weeks.
where did the carpet come from? My wife likes that

Great job Steamboater, it's really coming along beautifully! Who the creative one. The glass wall was really cool.

Tom

Thanks everyone! Deano2002, the carpet was a leftover piece from our house. Tc tom, I can't take all the credit for the bottle wall, my girlfriend did most the bottle cutting. Assembly was a group effort.

Here are a few pics of the (nearly) completed wet bath. I used a shower pan from Lowes and we went with the AirHead Composting toilet.  I plumbed the urine drain into the no-longer-used black water tank so we don't have to handle the urine tank that the toilet originally came with. We upgraded the fan to a Dometic 3 speed box fan.  I think it turned out pretty good!

Attachments

• IMG_5862.jpg
    IMG_5862.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5860.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Shower Removal.JPG
    Shower Removal.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Mocking up new shower.JPG
    Mocking up new shower.JPG