RV Tech Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitman9

I've been thinking about getting some tech training so I could take care of more things and cause I generally like to learn new things.  I'm thinking more online or some place where you get the materials and go at your own pace.  Here's one I found:

https://rvtechcourse.com/home-study-option/

Anything else out there or any recommendations?

So, you are considering a 5 day home course of study to learn to be an RV technician. Save your money and monitor this forum and ask questions when you have them.

I worked for the the Department of Defense, first as an Education Counselor and then as Chief of Education & Training at RAF Lakenheath in the UK. Air Force members were allowed one certification program not to exceed $4500. I had one Airman come to my office wanting to enroll in an online dog grooming course. The school was accredited so I couldn?t disapprove the request. I ask him how the course was structured and he said he would receive booklets with instructions and practice lessons. He said he would also receive the equipment he needed to groom dogs. I ask him how he would fulfill completion requirements. He said there would be a final exam. When I ask him if he would receive a dog in the mail in need of grooming that he test his newly acquired skills on and then send said dog back for a final grade, he got up and left my office. Sounds much like your 5 day RV tech home training course.

I didn't check out the course that was linked, but am going by what Gator said about being a five day course, and if it is, you could learn as much, if not more in 40 hours reading the tech section of this forum. I've been a farmboy all my life, along with a mechanic and industrial electrician and controls tech, with a year of HVAC/refrigeration training. I've been working on my RV's and friends/family RV's for about 5 years now. Trust me, 5 days of online training will just scratch the surface.

Reading through the service manuals for major appliances (furnace, water heater, fridge) is another excellent training tool. They aren't massive and if you look at your own as you review the material, you get hands on correlation with the info. You can also review some of our excellent RVForum Library articles, e.g. Furnace Troubleshooting, RV Battery Choices, Water Heater Troubleshooting, etc.

You also need to be familiar with the use of a VOM (multi-meter) and using it to validate AC & DC circuits, detect shorted electric heat elements, and verify working solenoid relays.  You can learn all that online for free.

I agree with the others that you can learn all that here over several months, simply by following the discussions as we help others, but for some people an organized class syllabus works better.  Presenting a topic with photos or videos in an organized manner is usually more effective than getting it piecemeal.  I wouldn't pay a lot of money for that course, though, simply because there is a lot of ground to cover and 5 days is nowhere near enough to get more than some basics. The $397 price for the home course isn't outrageous, but it isn't a bargain either.

Personally I went to the school of hard knocks.

When I hire work done it is for one of a few different reasons.
1: I just flat arse do not feel like doing it.. Some jobs the labor rate is lower than the hassle for me....
2: I do not have the tool box needed
3: Rarely: I do not know how or I feel the job is above MY ability...
4: Never done that before and no clue.

In the case of 3 and 4, I watch the tech when I can and/or ask questions.  Learn a lot that way.

Example of 2: I DO know how to swap an engine but.. Well that's beyond my tool box (Them puppies (Gas) weigh 800-900 pounds don't you know and thats just teh main populated block add the front and rear caps oil pan water pump and such and you are pushing a kilopound.. I can't lift it)

Example of 1: Oil changes, and the exhaust gasket they put on yesterday. For me it would require rolling around in the dirt. for them, on nice clean concrete. So I paid 'em 90 bucks

pitman9 said:
We've had a 2006 Outback 5th wheel for 7 years.  Trading in for a 2013 Montana 5er next week.

7 years....I suspect you could probably write a course yourself ! 

Those courses are designed to do one thing. Make money for the writer!

As others suggested save your money and read the various RV forums.

Back
Top Bottom