tire pressure monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R.J.

Looking for a tire pressure monitor system. Most of the inexpensive systems are for passenger cars. can anyone recommend a system? Pros and cons?

2013 Summerland 2570 travel trailer
2012 Silverado Chevy 2500

I have a TST that works well.  It displays pressure and temp for each tire in succession and has alarms for both high and low pressure and high temp.  It also tells you WHICH tire has the problem.

grashley said:
I have a TST that works well.  It displays pressure and temp for each tire in succession and has alarms for both high and low pressure and high temp.  It also tells you WHICH tire has the problem.
TST here also. The model with flow-through sensors. Works as advertised, and the company support is terrific.

Eezrv system here with non-flow through sensors and replaceable batteries. Very satisfied after about 2 years use

There is really no difference in the car system vs RV except that it has to accommodate more tires, typically 6-10 but maybe as many as  12-14 in extreme cases. Naturally, the extra wheel sensors (sometimes called sensor channels) add substantially to the cost. I'm guessing your Silverado 2500 plus travel trailer has a total of 8 tires to monitor.

Your Silverado already has a TPMS for its own tires, so you could get a 4-channel (sensor) system just for the trailer.  However, many trailer owners seem to prefer to have one monitor for both vehicles, so they get an 8-10 channel system and put duplicate sensors on the truck tires.  The factory sensors are inside, so you can add external sensors on the valve stems. That means you will get two warnings if a truck tire gets low, one on the truck dashboard and another on the add-on TPMS monitor.

The technology for add-on TPMS is pretty much mature and most work decently.  TST is popular, as are EEZE, Tire Minder and Pressure Pro. Features such as flow-through valves or repalceable batteries are largely a matter of personal preference and not a go/nogo decision factor.

I have Tire Minder, and I get false alarms. I will relocate the Antenna this weekend to see if it was merely a weak transmitter signal.

Just put in the eezrv a month ago. Works really well. Suprised how far it picks up my tow vehicle. I was sitting in drive this weekend waxing motorhome and jeep was in barn with door open roughly 150' and it was picking up the sensors.

As Gary says, the TPMS system all work pretty well. Things to consider:

1) flow through vs non-flow through sensors. Flow through sounds like a good idea but when you?re really only adjusting air pressure 3-4 times a year, and the sensors are no harder to remove than a valve cap, flow through really doesn?t save much time. Also
2) replaceable vs non-replaceable batteries. In my opinion replaceable wins hands down. My batteries last about a year, take about 2 min to replace, and are easy to find. I keep a bunch of extras on hand
3) display. Personal preference but I liked the Eezrv one better than the rest, seems more intuitive.

Systems without replaceable batteries typically last 5-7 years, while those with user-replaceable batteries seem to require replacement much more often, maybe every 1-2 years. It appears to be a "pay me now or pay me later" tradeoff, with no great advantage either way.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Systems without replaceable batteries typically last 5-7 years, while those with user-replaceable batteries seem to require replacement much more often, maybe every 1-2 years. It appears to be a "pay me now or pay me later" tradeoff, with no great advantage either way.

Agree, definitely wouldn?t look at as money saving (might or might not be). Just convenience. I like the idea of just going to buy a battery rather than shipping the units to the manufacturer who may or may not still be in business and honoring its previously stated pricing. Again, personal preference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom