Sensar IV replacement head problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone, I updated my old Sensar antenna with a Sensar IV replacement head and now of course the side extension is hitting one of my A/C units. So I thought I could just turn it around but that wont work either. Emailed WineGard and here is they reply:

Brian,

You cannot alter the head assembly to point it in the opposite direction, it will not fit properly. The only thing you can do is cut off the elements that are hitting your AC unit. It will not damage the antenna completely but will decrease the overall UHF signal gain by roughly 25% per element you remove.

Thank you,
Winegard Customer Support
800-288-8094/800-788-4417

Well I think this is the dumbest thing I ever heard I'll take the thing down and return it before I cut anything that cut my reception down. So I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction .

Thanks
Brian

Even with one of the Wingman elements cut off, you'll still have a better antenna than you had before. One other option though, that has worked in some cases, is to rotate the entire antenna assembly a few degrees until it clears the A/C shroud.

I had the same issue. Remove the inside controls, Clean off the calk, remove the screws that hold the antenna down, re-index the antenna so it clears the A/C, replace screws, re-calk, reattach the stuff inside and call it a day.

Its not as dumb as you might think.. depending on how much element you clip depends on the gain reduction, but its not uncommon do cut these to clear things on the roof. The additional elements are only 3db, but (depending on you're manicure work), the losses can often only be measured on professional gear they are so minute

When I replaced my old antenna with the Winegard IV I mounted it so that it stows to the side rather than to the rear. As mentioned previously, rotate the base so that it will clear.

Tom, are you talking 90 degrees to the side, or just a little to the side? Have you had any problems with the wind catching it going down the road?

It stows 90 degrees to the side. I have had no problems for several years. On my previous RV which stowed to the rear, I had one wing fold up on me.

Thanks Tom. It was always my impression that they stowed to the rear so the wind didn't mess them up. That wasn't something I read, just a deduction in my mind.

I see a lot of folks bragging about their JACK antennas. the Sensar III (No Wingman) outperforms the JACK by at least 3db.. With the wingman, even 3/4 of it you are still better off.

You can turn it around, I think (Will double check next time I work on it) but the job is not a simple one.. You have to drill new holes.. But again I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm working on the antenna some in 2 weeks and can tell you then. Just now it's UP and pointed the wrong way for  me to work on it.

How much and on which element are you cutting out of curiousity?

Back
Top Bottom