Cost of RVing - RVing for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One could also argue that the cost of an RV, if it's paid for, is a "sunk cost"....it's paid, it's gone, it's done.

And I believe that Hazel, in her original post, said that they weren't planning on going to theme parks or eating out at expensive restaurants. You CAN keep your RVing costs down if you want/need to. And scenery, blue skies, and sunsets are still free in many places.

Wendy
enjoying the blue skies of Colorado (now that the wind has died down)

cuts-up if you get through the Shenandoah Valley of Va. I'd like to sell you some beef tenderloin!!! :)
where do you pay that much for fillet????  ???

Randy

Beef tenderloin is $25.99/lb at a local grocery chain.  It's HEB if you are in Texas.  I got 6 small pieces for just over $55. 

For that price it better be well aged steer and completely trimmed.  We buy tenderloin quite often and have never paid anywhere near $26/lb., even for aged and trimmed.  Steer tender is hard to find.

Well, I'm going to split with the majority, here. Sorry folks.  8)

There are some cuts of some meats that are worth the big bucks, done right. Almost as good doesn't get it. You don't eat that stuff to satisfy hunger. You eat it for the experience.

Sauteed Salmon cheeks, anyone? Works with trout cheeks, too, but not enough there get excited about. Certain fresh salmon and fresh tuna - Ahi or even Albacore, and of course certain cuts of some beef. I'm sure there is more. Those are my favorites, when I can get them. I use a serving size of 4 oz. I'll pay what they cost.

Ray D  ;D

Ron, I doubt that you can get a whole beef loin for that, you might be looking at pork tenderloin!!  ;)

Ray D said:
Certain fresh salmon and fresh tuna - Ahi or even Albacore, and of course certain cuts of some beef. I'm sure there is more. Those are my favorites, when I can get them. I use a serving size of 4 oz. I'll pay what they cost.

Ray D  ;D

I love fresh tuna. But the most I've ever paid for sushi-grade tuna is $15/pound, and I only paid that much because I just had to have fresh tuna and that was the only tuna available. I can't imagine not being able to find a darn good, cheaper, substitute for $26/pound beef.

rclark said:
Ron, I doubt that you can get a whole beef loin for that, you might be looking at pork tenderloin!!  ;)

It doesn't matter how big the piece of meat is, we're talking about price per pound.

Right now, on the SamsClub.com web site, they have 16-6oz. filets for $95.57, that's about $16/lb. trimmed, cut, and bacon wrapped.  This is restaurant grade USDA choice tenderloin.

rclark said:

Nope it is a beef tenderloin not pork, we sometimes buy the pork tenderloin too.  We just bought the beef tenderloin at Costco last week or so at as I recall 8 or 9 bucks a pound for a total of around $60.  Have seen them in both Sam's club and Costco.

Sam's and Costco aren't convenient for me, but it might be worth a trip to check them out.  This meat is trimmed out in the store.  I choose the pieces I want.  Some have more marbelling than others.  It's not Kobe beef, but it is GOOD and extremely tender.  I had some beef tenderloin that is vacuum packed, and it was lots of smaller pieces pressed together.  It made nice appetizers as it fell apart on the grill.

cuts_up said:
Sam's and Costco aren't convenient for me, but it might be worth a trip to check them out. 

Since you paid $25 a pound and I paid less than half that at Costco, Sam's Club prices are approx the same, I think it would be worth while to make a shopping list and visit one of the two places I mentioned.  We really enjoy the tenderloins we get there.

We have Sam's  because back in the St Louis Area  There were no Cosco's but Sam's everywhere.  So it's Sam's for us and tomorrow is shopping day.

Shayne said:
We have Sam's  because back in the St Louis Area  There were no Cosco's but Sam's everywhere.   So it's Sam's for us and tomorrow is shopping day.

Then tomorrow evening you can grill some nice tenderloins for dinner.  We sliced the loin up into the size we like and vacuum sealed them in portions that are the right size for us then poped them in the freezer.

Back to the original question, is $647 for 3 days of family camping out of range?

I figure anywhere from $25-45 per night for the campsite. Costs of driving their will of course depend on what you drive and how far, but $100-$200 for a day of travel at today's fuel prices does not seem out of line. Meals cooked at the campsite are not expensive, so maybe $30-$75 for three meals, depending on whether it's steak or hot dogs? Then what about entertainment? Hiking and such is free or nearly so, but I'll bet the $647 includes some paid visits to tourist attractions, souvenirs, T-shirts, etc.  A family on vacation buys more touristy "stuff" than a fulltimer does.  Short term (vacation) travel costs are always higher than a yearly average cost for those of us who travel extensively.

But it is also possible to do everything on the cheap, except perhaps for fuel costs.

Wow, I'm blown away by all the responses.

I understand that many people will spend more on a 1 week vacation.  But as we will be travelling for 7 months we need to keep the costs as low as possible.
I dont believe the children need to go to theme parks to have a good time. lol.

Hazel

If you're going to be visiting the National Parks on your travels, get the America the Beautiful pass. It costs $80 and gets you free admission into the parks that charge an entrance fee. Since the entrance fee at many of the parks is $25, it doesn't take long to get your money back. Also, if you don't know if you'll visit enough sites to make it worthwhile, keep the receipts from any you visit and they can apply toward purchasing a pass later if you decide you want one.

BTW, I find the National Parks a lot more scenic, relaxing and educational than theme parks....not to mention cheaper.

Yes, Wendy is correct.  For seven months you'll really want a national park pass.  We have some fabulous national parks and national monuments.  Also, if you intend to be in any one state that has a lot of state parks, an annual state park pass may quickly pay for itself.

The America the Beautiful pass is:
    * Valid for one full year from month of validation.
    * Provides entrance or access to pass holder and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle at Federal operated recreation sites across the country.
    * Covers the pass holder and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per-person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee for children 15 and under.
    * Photo identification may be required to verify ownership.
    * Passes are NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
    * Fees vary widely across the thousands of federal recreation sites. Please contact specific sites directly for information on what is or is not covered.

The beauty of the national park passes is that it includes everyone in the vehicle and that's where you find the big cost savings.

ArdraF

I agree with the State and National Parks. When my kids were growing up running through hiking trails, fishing, canoing, wienie roasts around the campfire, making smores for desert, etc., were all fun days for them, and boy did they sleep well. A pound of hamburger used for spaghetti sure beats $26/lb. steaks for helping the budget. Staying a few days at a campground with a swimming pool and game room will also keep the kids occupied and cut back on fuel costs. Many, if not most State Parks are on lakes that have swimming areas, hiking trails, and other forms of educational and entertaining facilities. Visiting museums and local points of interest are cheaper than amusement parks. And then you can always splurge occasionally for a special treat, but still keep the average within reasonable limits.

Back
Top Bottom