Hot water not working and water heater switch not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnsontylen21

I have a 2009 Keystone Fuzion, and our hot water stopped working last night in the bathroom sink, kitchen and shower. Our cold water works just fine. my husband tried the hot water switch to see if maybe our hot water heater went out and the switch didn't do anything. Usually it will turn red letting us know it is heating up the water and no light came on.

Can someone please help me!

Wecome!!!

Knowing the make and model of the water heater will get you a more complete answer. IE is the heater being operated on 120V electric, propane , either or both?

Without knowing your particular model of water heater may need more info. I am assuming it is a tank water heater due to being an 09. Is it LP and electric. Your switch inside should control the igniter for LP. here it could be electrical or gas issue. Do you have Propane? Just asking the obvious first. If so could be several things. Do you hear it trying to light when switch is turned on. Should hear a cracking sound at water heater when igniter turns on. If so it is probably a gas issue. If not Check for a fuse.

Does it have 110vac heater in it. Should be a black switch inside of cover of water heater. Some people do not know there unit even has it. This will allow you to use electric or LP. They can be ran at the same time. If gas is not working and you have this it should still work.

Ghostman said:
Should be a black switch inside of cover of water heater. Some people do not know there unit even has it.

Only if it's a Suburban water heater. Atwood does not have  switch outside.

Only if it's a Suburban water heater. Atwood does not have  switch outside

Guess I always had Suburbans did not know that. Is there two switches inside on Atwood then?

My water heater runs on propane. I've tried using electric but i'm not very sure we have one. We have the switch on "on/off" where the water heater is but no switch on our breaker that says electric. Not very sure what make or model the water heater is but when i looked it up it said "Heater (BTUs) 35000 automatic" i will check it out today when i get off of work!
Yes i do have propane and made sure it wasn't empty last night. i have had my water heater go out twice already and we had to replace parts. but every time it stopped working the hot water knob will still produce cold water. i'm just not understanding why I am not getting any water at all from the hot water knobs?

I have Suburban water heater

My husband turned both the hot and cold water on in the shower last night and the water was working fine. but after a while the water pressure for the hot water went down even though he had the knob all the way up, there was no water coming out from the hot water knob. the cold was working fine and has good pressure. i checked the hot water again the morning and there was still no water coming out, only out of the cold knobs.

The model is important if only to confirm which you have as Suburban makes both propane only and electric/propane heaters.
....but every time it stopped working the hot water knob will still produce cold water. i'm just not understanding why I am not getting any water at all from the hot water knobs?

If, by knobs you mean the faucets, then you may have a defective or jammed one way valve (check valve) in the hot water output from the tank (Top fitting), a fairly common problem. Does the top of the tank around the over pressure valve or around the output pipe seem hot or warm? (Be careful when checking!!)

This valve can be easily removed (it is screwed into the tank output) and replace it with a similar valve from any hardware store, just look for one that flows in the same direction (as shown by the arrow on it) when shopping for a replacement. You may be able to loosen it up temporarily by tapping on it or removing and and taking out the guts with a screw driver or similar tool BUT it should be replaced. It is most likely needed for winterizing and prevents you from filling the tank with antifreeze "by the back door".

Ghostman said:
Guess I always had Suburbans did not know that. Is there two switches inside on Atwood then?

I had an Atwood years ago and there was a switch on the backside of the heater which I'd shut off when winterizing. I also had a switch inside on the wall near the stove.

Back
Top Bottom