Sandy Beach along Pacific Coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

Hey all, I'm thinking this summer I'd like to take the fam to the beach, my vision is parking the toy hauler on the beach somewhere, right there in the sand maybe 100-200 yards from the water, is there such a place?

supermanotorious said:
Hey all, I'm thinking this summer I'd like to take the fam to the beach, my vision is parking the toy hauler on the beach somewhere, right there in the sand maybe 100-200 yards from the water, is there such a place?

Jalama Beach, north of Santa Barbara, loved it there. Narrow winding road, but off by itself when you get there. Sporadic WiFi, no cell signal. Little restaurant, gift shop and supplies available. There are sites in that the sand

supermanotorious said:
Jalama looks perfect, are there any swimming restrictions?

Don?t think so. One of the camp hosts surfed every day and lots of surfers would come for the day

Ah, reservations seem tricky, may have to first come/ first served it, worked well in Yosemite, esp with disability plates, but we're fully self contained so we could stay near by overnight if need be

Yes it can be tough to get in there, at least the upper level spots that I wanted. Seems like there were openings at beach level

supermanotorious said:
I imagine due to high wind?
Sorry no, wind wasn't an issue. I was referring to your comment about reservations. After substantial research there was one single spot I decided I needed to be in, on the highest level they have (best views). My coach was way too big for the spot, but because it was on the end I could completely cover the access road and no one cared. Those spots typically fill a year in advance. I snagged the spot literally 10 seconds after it became available, one year out. Those spots are also popular because they have water and electric.

I don't think the beach-level spots are as hard to get based on what I saw, but I haven't tried to reserve one (didn't want sand in the rig  ;) )

As a side note, they were having a lot of trouble filling one of their camp host sites because many people can't deal with how far out the place is, and lack of cell signal.

Pismo Beach..Central Coast. Beach camping with 4 wheeling sand dunes...We are heading up there on Sunday for 2 weeks. I wish it was a little warmer there..gonna be in mid 60's as usual. 80's would be perfect but it won't happen...Plenty of videos on You Tube...

There are plenty of beach camping spots on the west coast.  Most require reservations and the reservations are made months in advance.  Some are so popular that it's nearly impossible to get reservations.

There are several smartphone apps for finding RV sites.  I use RVParky all the time.

Our favorite beach camping is Morro Bay even if you're not actually on the beach.

Huntington Beach State Park has a (very tight) campground where all that separates you from the beach is a low wall at the edge of a sidewalk. The city of Huntington Beach runs a campground with longer sites also right next to the beach with the same type of low wall/sidewalk thing. I loved watching the surfers.

Look into the Rincon Parkway just north of Ventura. Literally 10 feet from the beach. 127 RV spots parallel to the Pacific Coast Highway. $28 per night but dry camping. One of our favorite places. Get there on a Tues-Thurs if you want a spot. No reservations. First come first served type of place. But it is May so be prepared for the May gray, June gloom of coastal weather. Best coastal weather is October-December

Emma Wood State Beach is right on the beach in Ventura, CA.  One of our favorite campgrounds on the coast. The lower numbers spots are better. Easier access to the beach.

With respect to the Pismo Beach comment above, the best thing we have done in our almost 4 years of full timing was to finally buy a membership to Pismo Creek RV Resort. This little gem is almost unheard of within the FT community. Literally 5 minutes from the front of the park to the beach. Worth checking out for anyone wanting to spend a significant amount of time on the coast. Several resale memberships are available at the office. We are loving it and this area of the coast is just too dang gorgeous.

If you're an old surfer or beach lover, check this place out. Just remember it is a member only park.

Ended up at the Oceanside RV Park, 8 min walk to the beach. Full hookups, no reservation required. Actually our first time staying in an actual RV Park, kinda odd. First time parking on a concrete pad. Has its pros and cons.

Back
Top Bottom