Area all Class Cs cramped for driving space?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Early on we ruled out Class Cs in our search for a motorhome for two primary reasons. One being the cramped space for the driver's seat. Not even as comfortable as our current Honda van and not something I could put up with being a tall person. Second reason was the inability to swing the front seats around as that is one of our main "must haves". Since then some friends tell me that there are certain C models where you can rotate the front seats? As for the first point, am I correct in assuming that lack of ample leg room for the driver is just a given in all Class Cs?

Pretty much committed to go with an A but thought I should at least understand as much as possible about the options out there.

C owner here. I'm only 5'9", so leg room isn't as issue for me. Swivel seats were an option on mine, but the folks that bought it new didn't order or have them installed.

I am 6'3" 225# and neither of my Cs have caused me any issue with comfort in the driver's seat.

Indeed, some Ford based Cs have optional swiveling front seats, the Coachmen Leprechauns for one. Leprechauns also come Chevy based, some claim the Chevy Cs have more legroom. I don?t know if the Chevys have available swiveling front seats.

Thor makes a large C that?s based on a long hood Ford super duty diesel pickup. I assume this C has the seating space of a Ford pickup truck. Dynamax makes a similar C based on a heavy duty diesel Dodge Ram pickup.

Coaches are like audiophile headphones; comfort is purely subjective and what?s comfortable for others has no bearing on you.

I'm 6'2", 220, and no problem driving 5-6 hours a day.  Mine has swivel seats.  Are there more space in other vehicles, yes, but I am ok with it.

Nearly all C's these days use the Ford E450 van cutaway chassis, so the driver seating & space is essentially the same.  There is some variation in the seats chosen, but the basic layouts don't change.  There are a few Chevy, Ram Promaster, and M-B Sprinter-based C's that will be slightly different, so you ought to look at them to see if the seating it suits you better.  Nobody is building a Honda-based C, so you are out of luck there.

However, the swivel (or not) depends on the floor plan and RV body style. Basically, the seats can swivel if the floor is flat, but cannot if the there is a step down into the cab area.
Super-C models on  a diesel truck chassis are an entirely different matter. They typically have a flat floor and roomy cab area.

I've looked at class A gassers that I passed based on the cramped driving space.  I'm only 5'10" but have long legs.  But age is another factor.  My age.  Long periods of time leave my legs pretty sore. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom