Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Hi RV Community!
Is there a best or worst way of going from Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV Park to the Mount Rushmore area with a Class C + toad?  We will be in Yellowstone starting tomorrow and after 4 days we will be heading to Mount Rushmore.  Thanks for your help.

Hi if you use the search function you will find several recent posts about this route.  One below is an example.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,113582.0.html

great places to visit, I am sure you will have a great time!

Safe travels.

Last summer I drove from Yellowstone to Rapid City. I took US Hwy 14 east out of the park. In Cody, I took Hwy 120 south and made a loop around the Big Horn Basin. If you like to visit museums, Meeteetse has a free museum that is worth the stop. Thermopolis has one of the best dinosaur museums I have seen. Great displays of real fossils. They also do tours out to an actual dig site, but I didn?t do that. From Thermop, I went north on US 20 to Worland where there is another nice museum. I stayed a night at a small RV park in Meeteetse and then saw the 3 museums the next day. I boondocked at the top of the pass over the mountains, but if you go this way you might want to stay a night in Worland, then drive over the mountains. Or if you don?t do the museums, you could drive to Buffalo and stay a night there. In Worland take US 16 over the Big Horn mountains to Buffalo. This was a nice drive over the mountains. From Buffalo, I took I90 east and went to Devils Tower National Monument, then continued east on I90 to Rapid City.

Debra17 said:
Last summer I drove from Yellowstone to Rapid City. I took US Hwy 14 east out of the park. In Cody, I took Hwy 120 south and made a loop around the Big Horn Basin. If you like to visit museums, Meeteetse has a free museum that is worth the stop. Thermopolis has one of the best dinosaur museums I have seen. Great displays of real fossils. They also do tours out to an actual dig site, but I didn’t do that. From Thermop, I went north on US 20 to Worland where there is another nice museum. I stayed a night at a small RV park in Meeteetse and then saw the 3 museums the next day. I boondocked at the top of the pass over the mountains, but if you go this way you might want to stay a night in Worland, then drive over the mountains. Or if you don’t do the museums, you could drive to Buffalo and stay a night there. In Worland take US 16 over the Big Horn mountains to Buffalo. This was a nice drive over the mountains. From Buffalo, I took I90 east and went to Devils Tower National Monument, then continued east on I90 to Rapid City.

We couldn’t have given better suggestions....and we live here!   

Memtb said:
    We couldn?t have given better suggestions....and we live here! 

?  You live in a nice area. I really enjoyed the drive and visiting the museums.

Thank you for all your words of advice.
We ended up taking 14 to 20 to 16 to 90, which worked out well for us.  We enjoyed our route. Although it is worth mentioning that there is some pretty steep slopes on 16 going over the Bighorns. Nothing that a well-maintained RV and a patient driver couldn't handle.  For us being new RV'ers, going down the steep mountains was more challenging. We thought it was a scenic enough drive, although I am sure taking 14 over the Bighorn mountains would have been more scenic.
Wish all of you the best!  Happy travels!

Back
Top Bottom