rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Air bags in a Class A?  (Read 277 times)

mikeylikesit

• ---
  • trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.....
Air bags in a Class A?
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »
I have an idea to solve the problem of my driveway apron being too steep....so steep that unless I place 2x6's (5 of them) in the gutter, the rear jacks on my coach drag across the sidewalk.  It's kind of a PITA.     Park on the street......retrieve the 2x6's and place them.......curse a little......park the coach.........retrieve the 2x6's......curse a little more........yeah, it gets old.

So, I'm thinking, if I were to install air bags in the rear, with a switch on the dash controlling an air valve, would I be able to "lift" the suspension high enough so that the jacks clear?  (I already have an onboard compressor for the towed braking system).

Anyway, I figure I'm not the first person to need something like this so I'd throw it out there.  Feasible?  Been done before?  Pitfalls?

I'm all ears. :)     Thanks folks!
Mike and Valerie- She's retired....I'm close!
1996 Pace Arrow 35J - FORD 460 w/Banks Turbo
2000 Jeep Cherokee TOAD using Roadmaster and Brakemaster system.

Ghostman

• ---
  • Jarrod,
Re: Air bags in a Class A?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »
How high do you need to go? The size if the bags needed to lift the weight may not be feasible with your compressor. Depends how big it is. I don't see a problem if you can get enough lift. Just the cost of installing vs laying some boards down would totally be your preference.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

2016 Forest River Berkshire XL
2006 modified Jeep Grand Cherokee

No need to travel the world when there is so much to see here.

Frank B

• ---
Re: Air bags in a Class A?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:10:24 AM »
Have you considered so-called "curb ramps"? These are rubber or plastic strips designed to replace your boards. One piece, and can be relatively lightweight. Just do a web search for that term.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar