Location of converter in an 2006 Aerolite 19FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akvet

I just inherited a 2006 Aerolite 19FL travel trailer.  The trailer does not have its house battery.  I am not sure why my uncle removed it and I can't ask him (no longer with us).  I will probably install dual batteries.  Can someone tell me where the converter is located on my trailer?  I just want to check to make sure the converter is working.  Actually, I may want to replace it.  I also have a class A so I have some experience doing this sort of work.

Welcome to the Forum!

I do not know the location, but is is often close to the batteries and / or power center.  In my FW, it is directly behind the power center.  Remove the breaker box, and there it is!

If there is no battery, just plugging into 120 volt shore power and measuring voltage at the battery leads will check the converter. It should read about 12 1/2 to 14 1/2 volts. Some of the really older converters needed a battery hooked to them to work, but yours is probably new enough that it shouldn't need a battery. You don't need to plug into a 30 amp service, just use an adapter and plug into a normal household outlet. Be aware though, if plugging a trailer in a GFCI protected circuit, it may trip the GFCI. Try plugging into a non GFCI protected outlet. Once you get it powered up, listen for the cooling fan. As the Preacher said, it's generally located behind the power panel. Make sure you unplug from shore power before pulling the panel out.

Odds are strong the Aerolite has an integrated AC/DC power panel, with both 120v circuit breakers and 12v fuses. If so, I can near guarantee the converter is part of it, with the actual converter/charger module behind the panel. If there is a make/model identifier on the power panel, we can tell you for sure. More modern replacements are available from manufacturers such as WFCO and Progressive Dynamics, or you can disconnect just the converter module and substitute a standalone converter. That would have to be wired to both battery and the existing 112v panel.    Check this vendor for some options:

http://www.bestconverter.com/

Meanwhile, check the output at the battery cables as kdbgoat suggests.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom