KVH R5 and Dish TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Our 2007 coach came with a KVH R5 sat antenna and a DirecTV receiver. I removed the receiver and am now considering getting the Dish network. Is my KVH R5 antenna unit worth keeping or should I consider something else. We camp all over the US, so western and eastern coverage is important.

I'm not really up to speed on satellite systems but I do want to go with the Dish pay as you go plan. We don't have satellite at home and don't want it there. DW likes to fall asleep watching TV and I think AT&T has throttled our connected car plan after going through 50 gig of streaming data, so a Dish plan is now on our radar scope.

So should I consider keeping the KVH R5 antenna and converting it to Dish? If not I understand the King Tailgater pro can be roof mounted and can also be removed to be placed where there are no obstructions. I'm not sure this option is necessary as I could just get a portable unit.

I really don't know all the options where the satellite antenna is concerned. I would like to keep the KVH R5 but it's 11 yo and I suspect not up to speed with current technology.

Lastly, I have 2 TV's I would like to get Satellite signals to. I don't need separate channels on each TV. My current setup has cabling to both TV's from the KVH antenna. 

The KVH R5 needs to be configured to utilize Dish satellites instead of Direct.  Just what that configuration update is depends on the version-level of your R5.  Some of the older ones need actual hardware changes, but there's a fair chance your 2007 version can be done with a software update and/or plug-in module.  KVH Tech Support is probably your best bet to determine just what is needed.  The 2004-edition R4 I had needed major changes, but later ones were easier/cheaper. [The R5 is essentially the same as the R4 with some additional capabilities.]

Personally, I would strongly consider a new dome.  Prices have come down and the newest models simply do better at finding and tracking satellites. There have been a lot of changes in satellite tv broadcasting that the new domes or automatic open-face dishes are designed to handle, whereas old one struggle to adapt.

Thanks Gary for that explanation. I think you're right, new auto finding dishes are much cheaper and a worthy consideration for replacing my current KVH unit.

If you don't need in-motion use, I'd choose a open dish with auto-seek rather than a dome. It has a greater range of motion and better reception in the rain or even morning dew.

Back
Top Bottom