"Free" WiFi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZinLuvR

How common is this becoming?  Park advertises free WiFi.  Well the slow almost dail-up speed is free, the high speed normal stuff is an extra charge.  Here in this park it is $3 a day extra to get out of dail-up speed.  And, one park said they would slow you down if you were using "too" much of their signal, ie streaming for long periods.  A guess I'll be using my cell phone as a hot spot soon, which means upping my data plan. :mad:

I?d say it?s fairly uncommon to have reliable high speed Internet at any price. So yes, get used to providing it for yourself

We are heavy Internet users, so we've been providing our own cell based data services for a number of years now. Off hand, I can't recall the last time we were in a park with reliable "free" WiFi with usable speeds even without streaming. We're fortunate right now to have two low cost unlimited data plans, one AT&T and the other Verizon, but I have no idea how long those will last.

Park I'm at you get high speed if you are in the right campsite.. I'm not.

What can I say. I find Wi-Fi more common.  Dual level is not as common but you WILL be seeing more of it now that teh FCC has dropped thier Net Neutrality rules Though the Senate has passed a lesagative review of that restoring Net Neutrality.

WHat, You ask is "Net Neutrality"
Well..  basically it is the original post.. Multi-level internet.. Though it has always been legal to charge based on Bits persecond..  YOu may soon find you have to pay extra for say Netflix. or Streaming music, or Facebook, OR _________. as well as more bits per second.

Free wifi is now common, but in my experience well-performing and reliable wifi is not, whether free or pay.  I've only encountered the two tier (free or pay) situation once, so I don't think that is common. At least not yet.  Like many others here, I carried at cellular modem to handle my internet access requirements. I did that rather than using my phone because it stays at the site when I walk away with phone in my pocket, enabling my wife to continue using her tablet, e-reader, etc.

It's not just campgrounds - my experience with free wifi in all sorts of businesses is mostly dismal, whether store or restaurant, large or small.  Typically they are just allowing customers top piggy-back on the business' own internet connection and the coverage and the pipe to the internet simply isn't geared for the extra load and space.  It lets them advertise that they have "free wifi" without spending much money on it.

Sadly, the fee wifi services aren't much better.  The park often still lacks good high-speed access to the internet, so the paid service may still be slow or erratic. And nobody in the park can fix problems with the fee service, they can only call the provider who may not even respond for a few days.

I have found that even with my own dual provider set up that many places that have strong signal will often slow down just to congested bandwidth.  I can speed test a location and get 10-15 mps speed, but transferring a file or watching a film clip will slow it way down.

Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time in airports and hotels (although I'm bringing that to an end.) It's very common to find "free" WiFi in hotel rooms and airports, but the speed is usually throttled way back. In a lot of airports, I frequently get one hour of "free" WiFi before I have to start paying, and I often have to watch an advertisement before I can get online. Of course, if you want a high speed connection, you have to pay.

I also usually have "free" WiFi in my hotel rooms, but not in the meeting rooms where I work. A high speed connection in those rooms can be very expensive. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of RV parks start using the same model.

Kev

The park we're in has free wifi.  It's literally as good as we get at home in L.A.  However, we haven't streamed anything so don't know if they'll throttle us for what they'd consider excessive use.  The bad part is the cost of the park.  $95.00 a day or $1,800 a month.  We also have our Verizon Air Card with us.  It works here but very slow. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom