Truck or suv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dude_chevy

I am looking to replace my f150 with something newer and more dependable, as it has over 260k miles on it. I prefer a suv like a Tahoe because of the interior room over a truck. Are there any disadvantages to towing with an suv compared to a comparable truck? I pull a 19rb, tip to bumper it is 23 foot. I use a sway bar and equailiser hitch with it.

Most pick-ups will have a greater tow capacity than even a truck-based SUV like the Tahoe, but the Tahoe should be plenty for your trailer. However, a future upgrade of trailer might be limited?

A crew-cab type pick-up has a lot of interior space for people, but of course does not have the covered cargo area of an SUV.  Unless you add a cap to the cargo bed, that is.  I suggest you take a close look at a newer F150 crew cab (or similar GM or Ram) and then make up your mind.

A comparably equipped F150 / Excursion may have the same GVWR, since it is the same chassis, suspension, drive train, etc.  Because the SUV has more body, it is heavier, so it will have a lower payload, or Cargo Carrying Capacity.  The same will be true for the Chevy / GMC cousins for the same reasons.

As Gary said, the SUV version is sufficient for your current TT, but leaves little room for an upgrade.  Take a long look at a crew cab pickup (with a cap) to see if this would meet your needs.  A proper cap selection will almost make the truck look like an SUV!

At around 70K for a new Tahoe you will probably find a pickup a better buy.  Not counting resale value.  Which will be better for the pickup.

* am not so soure there is that much weight diff between a pick up and a SUV, but that said I've not compaired them (DO SO).

If I were towing a Trailer instead of a car. Id' want an SUV for the cargo space.

I have been looking at the Chevy/GMC 3500 cargo van with windows all around. Front and rear a/c, Cruise, gos, rear camera, plus many other options. With the back empty I would be able to configure as I wanted it. I priced a new 2018 with the big V-8 and HD tow pkg. the vehicle would be rated to tow upwards of 10,000 lbs. The price ordered was about $35,000.

My 2015 Tahoe is rated to tow 6600 pounds, and has a rear axle with a 3.08 ratio.  For a 8600 pound rating the vehicle needs to have the rear axle with the 3.42 ratio.  The wheel base is 110.
dude_chevy said:
I am looking to replace my f150 with something newer and more dependable, as it has over 260k miles on it. I prefer a suv like a Tahoe because of the interior room over a truck. Are there any disadvantages to towing with an suv compared to a comparable truck? I pull a 19rb, tip to bumper it is 23 foot. I use a sway bar and equailiser hitch with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom