Forest River - bad water heater anode brand new?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerH

Hello everyone!

New to RVing and bought a Forest River Georgetown GT3 Class A this year.
I bought it in Jan and went on one trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon!
So much fun!

But I am frustrated at issues with a new motorhome and warranty.

So on my trip I had sediment blocking the faucets.  No big deal, I took the restrictor out of the aerator. 
After my trip I drained the water tank and a bunch of stuff came out.  WTF
Then my toilet water flow went to a trickle.

Took it in for service, there is a lot of sediment in the water tank.

They tell me the anode is bad in the water heater and warranty wont cover it cause its a maintenance issue.
Ummm...ok, it happened on my FIRST USE??

Anyone else have something like this?

I am assuming it is a new MH. Not sure what there policy is on anodes. You could call Forrest River directly. I have had good luck getting service done through them. They have even sent me parts and I did my own repairs under warranty. I bought a Forrest River because I heard they had good customer service. If they don't cover it anodes are pretty inexpensive to buy and change. A number for you to call is Bryan Knight Phone:(574) 206-7611 that is service for Forest River Georgetown.

Welcome to the Forum!  Glad you had a great trip!!

You need to make a few additions to your new MH.  First is a water filter of some sort.  Your crud and anode problems are a direct result of the water in the area you visited.  A cheap $35 filter will help catch the chunks before they get in.  A $100 2 filter cartridge system will help even more.  The RV Water Filter Store can answer lots of questions for you.

Buy 2 new anode rods.  Install one and keep the second for a spare.

There are several other items I would suggest, but not on a first post.  Sit back, relax, and read some more threads  Ask questions and we will try to educate and assist.

Is the a new RV or a RV new to you? Something doesn't make sense here. A new RV and the anode is shot already?

RogerH, welcome to the forum. Like grashley said you need a filter on your shore water fill line. You also need a preshure regulator. The problem of sediment and stuff plugging your cold side is not tied to the anode rod issue. I would bet the sediment issue is from dirty unfiltered water as when the anode goes bad it doesn't leave much in the tank. I recommend you take the drain plug out of the hot water heater and flush it out. Camco has a wand just for that. ;) You can find them on Amazon for about $10.00. I would check Walmart to. You can buy the filters at Walmart and a preshure regulator. I would not hook up without a regulator.
You might try opening the drain on your fresh water tank and try to get any remaining sediment out.
Let me know what you find.
Bill
Just as a add on thought. I always turn on the water after hooking up to the hose bib and before hooking up to the coach. You would be surprised how often the first slug of water is nasty with rust and crud from setting in the parks water system and not being flushed out. I also will smell and taste the water.
Bill

Rene T said:
Something doesn't make sense here. A new RV and the anode is shot already?
And the water tank and lines are filled with sediment??

There are two sources of sediment in the water system:
1. Sand and particles in the water supply, either at the campground or where you filled the onboard water tank. An filter on the water source helps immensely.
2. Mineral salts in the water, aka "hard water". These crystallize in the RV system, mostly in the water heater.

In extreme cases,  even a few hours of use with hard water can create a lot of sediment in the tank. The fact that you saw a lot of white sediment in the tank strongly suggests this is the case.  It is not a warranty issue. Likewise, if the sacrificial anode has already deteriorated, that too is a maintenance item. It would be rare for it to wear out that fast, but it is conceivable in extreme cases.  It may have been deteriorating even while sitting at the dealer lot, but there is no way to prove that.

Is the water heater a Suburban model? I ask, because Suburban's have anodes but Atwood heaters do not, and RV dealer personnel aren't always accurate when making excuses to new owners.

Back
Top Bottom