rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Tiffin Front Engine Diesel  (Read 673 times)

JSplaine

• ---
Tiffin Front Engine Diesel
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
I am looking at 2008 Tiffin 34TGA with 340hp Cummins diesel. Does anyone have knowledge of this model concerning reliability, ride, economy, ect. Like Tiffin's but concern about them only making FRED's for a few years. Also looking for specification, can not find online. Thanks
2012 Allegro Red 38QRA
2010 CRV

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: Tiffin Front Engine Diesel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
They only made those for a few years because of low sales. I presume that's due to so much noise up front and, perhaps, some amenities lacking that are in DPs. Given that it's a Tiffen (Freightliner chassis?), I'd be very surprised if it has anything to do with reliability, though ride should be at least as good as a front engine gasser. A web search found that model designation in both FRED and gasser, though, so it's hard to say for sure other than reliability should be OK.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »
Looked at one once.  Noise level considerably greater than our 2005 F250 diesel.  Didn't even want to test drive it. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »
Just the other day I ran into a couple who own a 10 year old Tiffin Allegro Bay diesel. They bought it new, put many miles on it and are well pleased with it. The fella is of the opinion that Tiffin’s bringing out the Red, their cheapest DP, in the same price bracket as the FRED killed the FRED.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
The FRED chassis is a solid performer and I don't think the noise level is much different than the same coach with a gas engine.  Both of them have more engine noise than a typical late model pick-up truck, though.

Learn more about the FRED chassis Tiffine coaches in this article by Mark Quasius, an expert amateur who specializes in Tiffin brand products. Mark owns a Tiffin himself and does excellent research on the topics he writes about.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fred.php

Sales of FRED coaches were low because there was a price premium for the diesel engine vs the same coach with gas engine and the engine was the only advantage.  It is NOT the mechanical equivalent of a diesel pusher except the engine is in the front, so folks who were willing to pay more went all the way to a DP. Then the RED came along with a relatively modest price tag for a DP and stole what few sales the FRED model had.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tropical36

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
I am looking at 2008 Tiffin 34TGA with 340hp Cummins diesel. Does anyone have knowledge of this model concerning reliability, ride, economy, ect. Like Tiffin's but concern about them only making FRED's for a few years. Also looking for specification, can not find online. Thanks
Considering their low popularity and resale history, you should be able to get it at a very good price and no real reason, why it shouldn't serve you well.
Dan

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT___Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model

KandT

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »
What appealed to me about them is I could get a diesel under 26,000 pounds which meant that I didn't need a class B license in Pennsylvania.  I just decided to do the work and get the class B license.  It was not a big deal.

I guess if you find a great deal go for it.  No reason not too but no reason not to get another one either.
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!