DP exhaust tip/diffuser question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yonder

2008 Itasca ... 425 Horse Cummins ISL . ... No DEF. 

Freightliner Custom Chassis said, when I called, they weren't sure which part was to fit mine. They gave me a couple of possible part numbers but I was not able to locate any images on-line to match. It is an unusual shape that is rather flared and oblong with a down-slope on the top. The body is cut out to accommodate this shape.  The tip fell off on some rough road near Belle Fouche, SD (in case any of you find it  ;) 

In any case, if and when I do find the right tip, I expect it to be spendy. Since it is called a diffuser, I am wondering if it serves some purpose to maintain a back-pressure need for the engine or??? Otherwise, why not just spend $75 for a 4" SS turn-down tip and have it welded on?  Guessing I should call Cummins but I am tired of searching for hours and making phone calls to no avail so thought the answer surely lies in this storehouse of knowledge.

My Journey had one like you described.  They are not available anymore. There's nothing special about them. Mine was getting pretty rusty, so I replaced it with one that goes straight out with flames cut in it. It is stainless steel.  Cummins would not have an exhaust tip. Freightliner Custom Chassis would be the one to call.  1 800 FCC HELP. The tips they've been using for several recent year is a chrome turn down.

I am thinking they call it a "Diffuser" because i is flared and you can get something to replace it at any "Chrome Shop" (Truck customizer) many Truck stops and possibly even Autozone depending on the diameter.

If you can find another rv with one.. Take a look, if it's just a pipe bent and flattened.. Find a compatable tip.

Thanks for the replies. I feel okay about proceeding now. But I do think I will "weld" it since the one that fell off used a clamp.

Freightliner Custom Chassis did not supply that tip either - the chassis comes without any tip on the exhaust.  Winnebago installed the one you have, but it's probably obsolete.  You need to know the exhaust pipe diameter to select a new tip, but they are readily available online or at any truck accessory store.

I don't see any reason to weld it, but suit yourself. I am fairly confident, though, that the other one was lost due to rust-out, not any clamp deficiency. 10 years is about all you can expect for a diesel exhaust tip - the extreme high temperatures and high moisture content are brutal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom