Engaging kids in music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Today 35 Delta Strummers showed up to perform for an elementary school; 2 assemblies, totaling over 400 students, pre-K through 5th grade. We tailored the playlist to each of the groups, and the kids enthusiastically joined in singing the songs. I couldn't play due to Doctor's orders, but I went along and took video and stills. I'm still editing video.

Attachments

• 2018-0518AlmondGrove-sm.jpg
    2018-0518AlmondGrove-sm.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2018-0518AlmondGrove2-sm.jpg
    2018-0518AlmondGrove2-sm.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11
Just a precautionary thing for a week or so.

Years ago they cut out the music programs in schools and I think that was a horrible decision.  I believe they are coming back now. 

Sure hope you get to feeling better!

Arch Hoagland said:
Years ago they cut out the music programs in schools and I think that was a horrible decision.
It was a dreadful decision. Music education has shown to be of great value for a child. Interesting enough there is a strong correlation between music and mathematics skills. I read some fascinating studies about it a few years back.

Hope you feel better soon Tom.

[quote author=Arch Hoagland]Years ago they cut out the music programs in schools and I think that was a horrible decision.[/quote]

For a number of years, we've made a conscious effort to take music to schools. We've also had a subset of the Band participate in a local GATE (gifted and talented education) program. That was always humbling to be teaching these kids 1 on 1, and to see how fast they picked up playing the ukulele.

[quote author=UTTransplant]Hope you feel better soon Tom.[/quote]

Thanks, I feel fine, and haven't been sick; Just had a precautionary angiogram, and this time they went in through the wrist. The cardiologist was emphatic that I shouldn't lift anything or have repetitive movement of that wrist (e.g. as in strumming) until the entry node is completely healed and no longer in danger of bleeding. The recovery nurse was a bit more graphic: "If it bleeds, apply pressure and call 911". BTW the tubes are clear, as is the stent inserted 5 years ago, but I agreed with the abundance of caution displayed by the cardiologist.

Bet the kids loved it! Great outfits. Music is sooo important in life even if you can't play, listening to it is very important I think for emotional nourishment! Well done on the photos, I'm looking forward to the pro video...

[quote author=jackiemac]...  I'm looking forward to the pro video[/quote]
Get your earplugs ready; Those kids made a LOT of noise  ;D

Back
Top Bottom