Catalytic heater suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I have installed a quick disconnect in the rig in prep for a catalytic heater. I'm looking hard at the Big Buddy. Features I like:
  • seems low and fat so more tip resistant
  • tipover safety switch
  • very sensitive O2 sensor (shuts off at 7000' equiv)
  • 3 heat settings all the way up to 18,000 BTU
  • very low draw fan if desired
  • priced at about $230 which seems reasonable
Looking for comments from those that have this heater, and those that have others that they think I should consider.
Thx

FWIW, I have an Olympian 6100 for sale here in OR.  $100 plus shipping.  It is passive, no fan and is about 2' high by 18" wide and 4" thick.  It can be mounted on a
wall.  It has 2 feet and a cover. it also include a hose of unknown length,  I can measure and take photos if you are interested.

Jim Godward said:
FWIW, I have an Olympian 6100 for sale here in OR.  $100 plus shipping.  It is passive, no fan and is about 2' high by 18" wide and 4" thick.  It can be mounted on a
wall.  It has 2 feet and a cover. it also include a hose of unknown length,  I can measure and take photos if you are interested.

Jim, I?d need to know more as I can?t find info on the 6100.

1) can it free stand? (I don?t have any wall space)

2) is there an O2 sensor?

3)is the heat adjustable?

4) what is the max BTU?

The Olympian Wave heater comes in 3 sizes. they are 3,000 BTU, 6,000 BTU, and 8,000 BTU. See https://www.amazon.com/Olympian-Portable-Catalytic-Camco-57331/dp/B000BV01CK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526737076&sr=8-1&keywords=olympian%2Bwave&th=1. I have the smallest one mounted on the wall in the bedroom, and permanently hooked into the RV's propane system.

They do not have an O2 sensor, and I view that as an advantage. Last year we spent a week camped at just over 9,000', and the nights were in the mid 30s. The Wave 3  kept us warm. The O2 sensor in the Mr. buddy will prevent it from operating at that altitude. Just remember that the higher you are, the wider you need to keep a window open.

Joel

I have the Big Buddy and it's usually all the heat we ever need. Ours is also plumbed to run off our coach's LP tank, and I wired its 6 volt fan to run off a 12 volt socket via an adapter. I think it's a well designed unit. We usually run both elements on high until the coach heats up (18,000 btu) then run it on one element. I also take it Jeep/tent camping and run it off those little disposable bottles.

I used to use a Coleman catalytic heater, but it only ran off high-pressure LP. It didn't have the ability to run off low pressure LP like the Big Buddy does via its proprietary hose and regulator.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
I have the Big Buddy and it's usually all the heat we ever need. Ours is also plumbed to run off our coach's LP tank, and I wired its 6 volt fan to run off a 12 volt socket via an adapter. I think it's a well designed unit. We usually run both elements on high until the coach heats up (18,000 btu) then run it on one element. I also take it Jeep/tent camping and run it off those little disposable bottles.

I used to use a Coleman catalytic heater, but it only ran off high-pressure LP. It didn't have the ability to run off low pressure LP like the Big Buddy does via its proprietary hose and regulator.

Kevin, I?m confused again (my normal state). When I spoke to Mr Heater tech support I understood that the hose/regulator they sell is only for running off of a high pressure, unregulated source such as a 20# bottle, and that if one was running off the low pressure side of an RV tank no further regulation was necessary. Is this wrong?

My plan is to have a short, custom hose made as my quick disconnect is only a couple feet from where the heater will sit

The CATALYTIC heater runs off high pressure only.  No way to run on LOW regulated pressure.

Big Buddy runs on LOW pressure, either from your low pressure system or by using their hose/regulator on a high pressure source to reduce it to feed LOW pressure to the heater.

I think I got that right!?? ???

But Big Buddy IS a catalytic heater...........? ???

I'll try to get to the MH in a day or so and see if I still have the manual so I can answer the questions.  We used it mostly at Quartszite during the RV rallies and when boondocking in when it was cold to save on the battery.  Worked fine but I don't remember the details so ...  I'm having medical problems so it may take longer to get to the MH but will do as soon as I can.

Yes, it can free stand.  That one is obvious so I can answer it.

Jim

Sun2Retire said:

4) what is the max BTU?

Hi Scott... yes, the Big Buddy runs off those little high pressure disposable bottles (two of them) or you can buy their proprietary hose that has its own built in regulator. One end of the hose attaches to the high pressure side of your propane tank's regulator, then you run the hose into your RV and attach the other end to a quick disconnect fitting inside the Big Buddy (It's air-chuck fitting). The regulator that's attached to the hose reduces the pressure to about 5 psi (IIRC) before it goes into the coach. That way there's only low pressure lp gas going into the coach. Very smart IMO.

Kev 

I?ve plumbed my quick disconnect on the low pressure side of the RV regulator, so I should be able to use a plain hose (without regulator) straight to the heater, yes?

I don't know if that will work or not Scott. The Big Buddy has its own lp pressure requirements, and I don't know if the pressure out of the RV tank's regulator is too much, too little or just right. That's why the Big Buddy has its own proprietary hose and regulator. It might be worth a try... FWIW, the hose wasn't very expensive, and the Big Buddy runs great with it.

Kev

I finally got some information,

Yes, it free stands as there are 2 feet for it and I have them.
No, there is not an O2 sensor.  They came in a few years after we got this one in 1994 or 5.
The heat is adjustable.  There are 3 settings of low, medium and high but the control is a smooth operating one so I think I recall that it is continuously variable.
The max BTU is 6000 .

Hope that this helps.

Jim

Sun2Retire said:

4) what is the max BTU?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom