hard boil eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Quite often when we hard boil eggs, much of the egg comes off with the shell. Sometimes they peel real good. We don't know why and we cook them the same way all the time.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge if these things work or are they just a gimmick?

https://www.getegglettes.com/?utm_source=Google_Non_TM&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=CPD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm7bEvKiS2wIVUtbACh2gwgqIEAAYASAAEgKIz_D_BwE

They work fine for hard boiled eggs, but the eggs come out a strange shape; Fine for eggs that will be sliced to put in salads. If you like 'soft boiled' eggs that you put in an egg cup, cut one end off, and eat with a teaspoon while dipping bread 'soldiers' in the soft yolk, they don't work.

Week old eggs peel easier. Two week old are even better. Try cracking the shell all over and soaking in water for awhile before peeling.

Drives us crazy! I end up cutting in half and scooping out with spoon if we are having them on toast.  Steve read somewhere that adding vinegar to the waterhelps. We've not tried that yet though. Also I've seen people put the egg in water in a small jar and shake vigoroisly and shell comes off.... haven't tried that either. I'm not doing very well here Rene, sorry.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled on this post for other recommendations..... :eek: ????

I just found this on another post here:

1.Boil the eggs as normal and cool under cold water.
2.Take an empty pickle jar or other small jar with a lid and fill 1/2 with cold water.
3.Drop the egg in and close the lid.
4.Shake vigorously for a couple seconds.
5.Remove the egg and the shell falls right off...
6.Do next egg

I can shell a dozen eggs all perfect in about 10 minutes....

Getting peelable hard boiled eggs is a good excuse for buying an Instant Pot.  Mine replaced the crock pot and the rice cooker.  I make a lot more hard boiled eggs now.

Jeannine

I agree with Jeannine that an Instant Pot is incredible for easy to peal hard boiled eggs. Both old and new eggs peel perfectly after cooking. Place 1c water in bottom of pot. Put trivet in pot with any number of eggs you want, set for high pressure 6 minutes, let sit after pressure cooking complete for 6 minutes, release remaining pressure, place in ice water for a few minutes, and peel. Sooooo easy. Then again, I am an abso,it?s fan of my Instant Pot for lots of reasons.

I learned a long time ago to put a couple of pinches of baking powder in the water before bringing to a low boil. I have never had a problem with peeling the eggs since using this idea.

Ditto on the baking soda in the water before boiling eggs. Tried it yesterday and they peeled easily.

Never used the baking soda, but I always run the eggs under copious amounts of COLD water, not cool water. I've never had a problem peeling them, even if they came out of the hen that day.

I put the eggs on the stove in cold tap water. Bring the water up to boiling then turn off. Let stand ten minutes. Transfer eggs to an ice bath and let cool. They should be cooked perfectly and peel easy.

xrated said:
OK, John Stephens says "baking powder", and Lowell says "baking soda"!  Which one is correct or will they both work equally as well?

We use baking soda.  EDIT: Wife put eggs is tap water. when it reaches a boil she turns it off and lets them set in the water for 15 minutes, then puts them in cold water. But until she started using baking soda, you never knew if they would peel easily or not. Now we have only tried the the baking soda one time a few days ago and it seemed to work fine.  But some times in the past it worked fine without, so we will have to evaluate again.

[quote author=Oldgator73]I put the eggs on the stove in cold tap water. Bring the water up to boiling then turn off. Let stand ten minutes.[/quote]
I've always told folks that they should first bring the water to the boil, then put in the eggs and start the timer.

Oldgator73 said:
I put the eggs on the stove in cold tap water. Bring the water up to boiling then turn off. Let stand ten minutes. Transfer eggs to an ice bath and let cool. They should be cooked perfectly and peel easy.
That's the method I've used and while it makes great hard boiled eggs with the yolk still creamy and not dried out, I still have issues with the shells on occasion.
The latest is to steam them. An inch of water, steamer basket, eggs in, bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes, then into cold water. Supposedly the steam makes a difference as to how easy they are to peel. Haven't tried it.

JoelP said:
That device was such a disappointment.  I am back to buying peeled hardboiled eggs.

They?re convenient, but they are SO over cooked- rubber whites and dry yolks

Back
Top Bottom