hard boil eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just punch a pin hole in large end of shell before boiling or steaming. Shells just slide off.

Rene T said:
Are you also talking about the Egglettes?

No I haven?t tried the Egglette. In theory if you don?t overcook looks like it would work. I was referring to the already peeled, hard cooked eggs you can buy. Seems like they?re always way overdone.

We just tried cooking another dozen eggs. We polked a small pinhole in the end of all of them and then cooked them. Didn't do any good. I then tried the water/egg in a jar and that didn't work. We may order some of the egglettes and try them.

xrated said:
OK, John Stephens says "baking powder", and Lowell says "baking soda"!  Which one is correct or will they both work equally as well?

I misspoke and meant to say baking soda. Sorry about that.

Tom said:
Rene, you might need to change the brand of eggs  ??? ;)
We wondered if it was the feed but looking on internet it's not anything specific.  We have the same problem at home and we get eggs from a local farm. Sometimes they are ok sometimes  it.

Disappointed the jar didn't work Rene.... I was hoping that would be the secret.

Jackie, I was just yanking Rene's chain about the brand of eggs  ;D

I think I found the problem. I did quite of bit of searching on the internet and it appears that we were probably overcooking the eggs. I took one egg from the same carton. I put it a pan of cold water with about 1" of water over the egg. Took the water up to the boiling point and left it there for 12 minutes. Then I shut off the stove, took the pan over to the sink and dumped all the water out of it. Then I filled up the pan with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. After the egg was cool. I broke the shell and it came off with only one spot where the egg came off with the shell which was about the size of a dime. I may have started the time of 12 minutes a little late. Hope this helps others.
Just remember, 12 minutes after it come to a full boil and no longer. Then cool the eggs immediately then peel.

I don't recall ever boiling the eggs for 12 minutes  ???

Back
Top Bottom