hard boil eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are correct. Another trick is not to scramble in the pan. Gently sweep towards the center so so the cooked part piles up in the center and the raw flows off to cook. Also does wonders for presentation.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
You are correct. Another trick is not to scramble in the pan. Gently sweep towards the center so so the cooked part piles up in the center and the raw flows off to cook. Also does wonders for presentation.

Ernie
Just scrambled a couple of eggs. Used a small sauce pan. Knob setting at 2.5 with plenty of butter. Whipped eggs in bowl to incorporate as much air as possible. Poured eggs into pan and continuesly folded eggs adding more butter maybe twice. Finishing with just a little salt and pepper. Very creamy. The only problem was the eggs in Europe have a very orange colored yolk which makes the cooked eggs look much more inviting. Also the Europeans do not refrigerate their eggs so you start the process with room temperature eggs. Be sure to heat the plate some before serving up the eggs. Maybe garnish with chopped chives.

We also add a splash of milk.  I now do them in the frying pan.  Constant mixing is the trick to keep the egg moving so you always get the runny stuff cooking.  We are having these for breakfast today!  Sans peanut butter.... :eek:

Rene T said:
You should be exhausted, look at the time you posted this.
I was up late last night trying to sort out my photos.  We are in Fredonia AZ on the Utah border.  Been doing some nice trips out to see the sights.  The coyotes and dogs in the surrounding RVs were howling as we went to bed. 

Hey, Jackie, if you like turquoise jewelry, on the NW corner of Hortt St and 89A is a cool little gift shop.  Sometimes you have to call the number on the door, but he's more than happy to open the shop for you.  I got a real nice turquoise cuff bracelet for my birthday last year and he knocked almost $100 of the marked price.

Also, the side trip to Pipe Spring Nat'l Monument is worth the drive.

Old_Crow said:
Hey, Jackie, if you like turquoise jewelry, on the NW corner of Hortt St and 89A is a cool little gift shop.  Sometimes you have to call the number on the door, but he's more than happy to open the shop for you.  I got a real nice turquoise cuff bracelet for my birthday last year and he knocked almost $100 of the marked price.

Also, the side trip to Pipe Spring Nat'l Monument is worth the drive.
Thanks Wally, unfortunately we left before I read this. We popped into Pipe Springs a few years ago and I got a lovely necklace there that was made by the locals. We didn't see the monument though.... next time ?

Thank you!

Hmm... well it would seem my grandmother (she was from Sweden) taught me the European way.

I always use butter, and prefer them with a bit of milk. Pinch of Paprika on top.

jackiemac said:
We also add a splash of milk.  I now do them in the frying pan.  Constant mixing is the trick to keep the egg moving so you always get the runny stuff cooking.  We are having these for breakfast today!  Sans peanut butter.... :eek:

I use milk also, and some grated sharp cheddar cheese. My late wife used to like hers made with american cheese. I like them both ways.

Charlie 5320 said:
I use milk also, and some grated sharp cheddar cheese. My late wife used to like hers made with american cheese. I like them both ways.

yes i love cheese but the OH not so keen..... although we love a parmesan omlette....

I know this is a very old post and it's not always good to resurrect these, however, I thought that this incredibly important message  needed to be shared.

We were watching a tv chef the other day who was boiling eggs. Add about a teaspoon of white vinegar to the water, boil, drain, in cool water if you like, tap all over, peel. He says they always peel easily. And he should know.

Tried it on 5 eggs and the shells came off all of them very easily.

Didn't try baking soda referenced above as we didn't have any but the vinegar definitely works and I thought you'd all like to know about this simple tip.

???

As you were ?

Talk about blast from the past...

In a previous life I apprenticed as a chef. I am also usually in charge of the Easter eggs so I have probably cooked thousands and thousands of hard boiled eggs.

Start with cold tap water just enough to cover the eggs - I have a pot that takes six comfortably but it also works for 12. I have a bigger pot that I have done 24 in so the method pretty much works for all.

As someone said we tend to keep our eggs refrigerated which is why I start with cold water. The rising temperature of the cold water raises the temperature of the eggs as the water comes to a boil.

So simply set the gas on high. When the water starts boiling set a timer for 10 minutes - you can turn it down some so it just stays at a boil. When the timer dings, pour out the boiling water and start filling in with cold water. Keep the cold water slowly filling the pot while you peel the eggs.

Never had an egg stick on me.

And if anyone still cares Baking Soda and Baking Powder are not the same thing. Can be used similarly but Baking Soda is much more "powerful" than baking powder, like a 3 to 1 ratio and it will give a different taste/texture in baking - Caveat - I am definitely not a baker - baking is science, cooking is art. If you don't mix a cake right, you don't end up with a cake - LOL...

a drop of vinegar in the water will fix it...

Many moons ago on a business trip to China, I asked for boiled eggs.. they gave me  "thousand year old egg".. 
interesting flavor .... :eek: :eek:

I have been steaming my eggs lately but this week I used the Instapot, both methods leave me with perfect eggs, I will never boil another egg.
  There was an episode of Milk Street on this week (on the net) where he explained why butter is not as good an idea because of the heat needed to remove the water from it before cooking the eggs. Instead he used olive oil which is supposed to heat quicker so it makes steam in the eggs....fluffier and creamy. Then add the butter if wanted. JM$.02

catblaster said:
There was an episode of Milk Street on this week (on the net) where he explained why butter is not as good an idea because of the heat needed to remove the water from it before cooking the eggs. Instead he used olive oil which is supposed to heat quicker so it makes steam in the eggs....fluffier and creamy. Then add the butter if wanted. JM$.02

Might need to try this, thanks!

catblaster said:

I have tried using olive oil to scramble or fry eggs and did not like the taste. I use butter or ghee which we buy at Aldi.

Oldgator73 said:
I have tried using olive oil to scramble or fry eggs and did not like the taste. I use butter or ghee which we buy at Aldi.
I did wonder about the flavour although olive oil is good for you.

Hows the knee?

jackiemac said:
I did wonder about the flavour although olive oil is good for you.

Hows the knee?

Thanks for asking:

The knee is a struggle. PT three days a week. It needs to get to at least 120 degrees to be successful. Yesterday it took two of them to get it to 109 degrees. One problem is any exercise that requires the use of both knees hurts both equally. I see the doctor on 23 July. If there is not significant progress by then I won?t entertain  a second surgery on the other knee.

I tried removing the shell before putting the egg in water. It comes out a different shape, but still cooks.

Vinegar in the water is a trick I recall from the olde country (for poached eggs).

Oldgator73 said:
Thanks for asking:

The knee is a struggle. PT three days a week. It needs to get to at least 120 degrees to be successful. Yesterday it took two of them to get it to 109 degrees. One problem is any exercise that requires the use of both knees hurts both equally. I see the doctor on 23 July. If there is not significant progress by then I won?t entertain  a second surgery on the other knee.
Stick with it, hoping you get there...

Back
Top Bottom