Changing residency: FL, SD or PA? (duh, not PA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
johnaye said:
Thanks.  A helpful link.  I am the process of deciding SD or FL.  I think I am going with FL as eight years on the license v five for SD.  Everything else seems about equal.

I would not let drivers license renewal be a deciding factor as you can renew on-line in SD.

Gizmo said:
I would not let drivers license renewal be a deciding factor as you can renew on-line in SD.

Only in specific circumstances.  Most fulltimers need to renew in person,

Jeannine

Well, the plot thickens. Just hung up the phone from the SD Dept of Motor Vehicles - for those not familiar with SD it turns out the SD vehicle license fees, while not based on value, are not insignificant. I currently pay about $560/yr in AZ, most of which is a use/personal tax. While SD doesn't have that tax, they do have a weight fee. In my case the weight fee will be about $430/yr, so I'll save a little over a hundred per year, but not the $500 I thought I'd be saving. For those with rigs worth a lot more than mine and who currently reside in high personal/use tax states, the savings could still be significant.

I've attached the SD license fee chart. SD assigns a renewal date to plate holders based on the first letter of the last name then, based on the initial registration date, the first year you pay a pro rata amount in months to get you to your "anniversary" month. In subsequent years you pay the 12 month amount.

Attachments

• SD motorhome license fees.pdf
    212.5 KB · Views: 13
Interesting, we just registered our 2-vehicles a Ram 1-ton DRW and Honda Fit in SD and the cost for both, was about a third of what it cost me to register my truck in AZ.  Also, a friend of mine from AZ found significant savings in SD as well.

Gizmo said:
Interesting, we just registered our 2-vehicles a Ram 1-ton DRW and Honda Fit in SD and the cost for both, was about a third of what it cost me to register my truck in AZ.  Also, a friend of mine from AZ found significant savings in SD as well.

I suspect it's weight versus value. Your truck's pretty new and you were probably getting hit hard by AZ taxes, my rig probably weighs 4 times what your truck weighs so I'm getting hit in SD - at least that's what it looks like so far

Sun2Retire said:
I suspect it's weight versus value. Your truck's pretty new and you were probably getting hit hard by AZ taxes, my rig probably weighs 4 times what your truck weighs so I'm getting hit in SD - at least that's what it looks like so far

Yes it is true SD bases its registration on weight and also age as I recall and yes taxes in AZ were high, but I would suspect it is all relative and was surprised to see you did not receive a larger reduction, but we are not comparing apples with apples and perhaps there is another fee or surcharge for a motor home vs a car or truck, that I do not know.

Howdy Scott!  Between the 'typical' three states, I expect that the final costs are fairly similar. The services available certainly are (similar). The medical/insurance issue doesn't apply to me so I've never researched it but I suspect it is a biggie!

Re: P.O. Box: In reference to what you said about a P.O. box in PA...  I walked into a U.S. Post Office in New Mexico and asked about getting a box. They said I needed proof of permanent physical address (local).  I didn't really do any subsequent research so there is likely more to the story. My take away was that getting a P.O. box is more complicated than just paying a few dollars.  I think it is different with the non-U.S. Post Office mailbox providers - not sure.  Just adding to the confusion. :)

USPS box availability varies by location.  Some post offices simply don't have enough for the demand; some have restrictions because of the potential for illegal activities (e.g. moving drugs or weapons); and some have highly seasonal usage and try to reserve boxes for locals.

Sun, thanks for the SD info.  Here is the link to the FL Highway Safety and MV dept which has fees on it.  Sorry, not pdf to download ;)  https://www.flhsmv.gov/fees/#mvfees

johnaye said:
Sun, thanks for the SD info.  Here is the link to the FL Highway Safety and MV dept which has fees on it.  Sorry, not pdf to download ;)  https://www.flhsmv.gov/fees/#mvfees
Thanks. Pretty much looks like SD. It's possible FL registration might be a little cheaper but it's a lot more expensive for insurance

If you are 65 or older, FL, SD, or TX.

If you are under 65, then FL as it's the only state with ACA nationwide health plans.

How about Nevada?  No state income tax, fairly reasonable vehicle license fees and insurance costs.  As long as you stay outside Clark County (Las Vegas) or Washoe County (Reno) there are no smog or vehicle inspections.

Pahrump is in Nye County so no smog or vehicle inspections are required here except for the initial VIN verification (performed at the DMV) when you first register an out of state vehicle.  Vehicle registrations are annual, renewing every 12 months after your first application (i.e. October - October or June -June) but trailers can be registered for two years at a time.

To establish NV residency, you need to stay in state for 30 days and present a lease receipt to the DMV when you apply for your driver's license.  A campground 30 day receipt qualifies.  In Pahrump, monthly campground fees start at $400.

Another consideration, regardless of where you register, is whether or not you want a Real ID license.  Without Real ID you can't use your driver's license to board an aircraft or enter a military base or other Federal facility.  Real ID requirements are set by the federal government so they're the same from state to state, and require proof of residence (a 30 day lease for an RV space), a second document like a bank statement,utility or insurance bill with that address and two proofs of identity like a Social Security card and passport.

http://www.dmvnv.com/realid.htm

Lou Schneider said:
Another consideration, regardless of where you register, is whether or not you want a Real ID license. 

Excellent point I hadn't thought of. Just checked and both FL and SD are issuing Real ID licenses. Here in AZ I think they're still working on it

zulu said:
If you are under 65, then FL as it's the only state with ACA nationwide health plans.

That may be a consideration if your income is low enough to qualify for an ACA exchange subsidy.  If not, there are ACA qualified multistate plans available in all 50 states as of 2017.

Note that "multi-state plan" doesn't mean all such plans are national. In ACA parlance, 2 states are enough to be "multi" and many such plans are regional rather than nationwide.

I'm told that Healthcare.gov (the federal ACA exchange) has nationwide plans available, but I've not verified that for myself.

Also note that an insurer can provide coverage for you while you are visiting a state even though the insurer is not licensed to sell the policy in that state. That's an important distinction for travelers.

Nevada registrations can be steep. When I checked the fees for my previous 2013 Phaeton, using the fee calculator on the Nevada web site, they were 300% higher than I was paying in CA.  That was the motivating factor to stay with my SD domicile.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm told that Healthcare.gov (the federal ACA exchange) has nationwide plans available, but I've not verified that for myself.
Use the https://www.healthsherpa.com/ website and the ZIP Code 33597 (Sumter County, used by Escapees mail service).

After answering a slew of questions, you'll find several BlueSelect EPO plan options. These FL EPO plans offer nationwide coverage.

SargeW said:
Nevada registrations can be steep. When I checked the fees for my previous 2013 Phaeton, using the fee calculator on the Nevada web site, they were 300% higher than I was paying in CA.  That was the motivating factor to stay with my SD domicile.

The NV Vehicle Registration Estimater shows $297 a year for Scott's 2005 Dutch Star in Nye County, $363 in Clark County (Las Vegas).  Sales tax is paid to selling dealers in NV or assessed on "recent purchases" from out of state dealers.  No sales tax if purchased from a private individual, even if the purchase was made out of state.

What were you paying in CA?

Lou Schneider said:
The NV Vehicle Registration Estimater shows $297 a year for Scott's 2005 Dutch Star in Nye County

That?s better for me by $100 than SD due to a weight fee. With all things considered tho probably going with SD. One night makes you a resident, and car insurance is even less than AZ, far less than FL. As some other states, no inspections, vehicles never have to enter the state.

Back
Top Bottom