2007 Thor Hurricane 32R - Generac generator question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aden949

Should I be concerned about it having a Generac Guardian (278 hours) generator instead of an Onan. It fired up and sounded ok. My main concern is reliability but also parts availability and finding shops willing to work on it. Otherwise the rest of the coach looks good. 22k miles and clean.

Hey Harv, I'm unable to send messages for some reason. No, we're not at the dealer now. Was there last night.

We have an Onen that doesn't work and parts aren't available so a brand name doesn't mean availability of parts. Sad thing is a Cummins dealer wanted to charge us $800 to repair the carburater that we later found out isn't even available.

As an FYI, you cannot send messages until you have the 5 (?) or so posts under your belt that are required  before doing so.

I have a Generac in my MH and it works great.  Mine is a 7500 and will power everything in my MH.

There is a Generac dealer about 10 miles from me and they ordered parts (I assume) from the manufacturer
and had them in a couple of days.  They seem to be a big dealer but I also assume that older RV generators are
not real common for them to carry parts - but it didn't seem like they had any problems getting them and for me they were close.
There were some knock off parts on Amazon but I wanted name brand stuff as I feel there is a difference when something is too cheap.

I bought the fuel, oil and air filters.  I have the service manual for mine with part numbers so that helped some.
Generac is a good name brand and major player in the home stand-by generator field with a good reputation.
So for me I didn't have any problem purchasing my MH with a Generac unit in it.
Hope that helps.

The smaller Generacs, e.g. the 5500, don't have a great reputation, but there isn't much to be "concerned about" when you already own one. Small oil leaks are a fairly common complaint, so keep an eye on the oil level dipstick.  Most owners don't bother to have the leak fixed (it's not cheap), so just add oil as needed. Other than that, routine engine maintenance (oil change, filters and spark plugs) and regular exercise (run the genset under load at least monthly), same as for an Onan.

The similar size Onans are known for finicky fuel systems, so having an Onan might not have been any advantage.

Aden949 said:
Should I be concerned about it having a Generac Guardian (278 hours) generator instead of an Onan. It fired up and sounded ok. My main concern is reliability but also parts availability and finding shops willing to work on it. Otherwise the rest of the coach looks good. 22k miles and clean.
The Generac Guardian is a good generator. Most Generac parts are cheaper than onan. NEVER start or stop your generator with a load on it, the regulator won't like it, and won't last too long if you do. I've had a few and all were very good, but have had to replace the regulator, it's a $160.00 dollar part. I have a RV 6600 setup for a backup for my house and it does a very good job, I can even run my air if need be.

Aden949 said:
Hey Harv, I'm unable to send messages for some reason. No, we're not at the dealer now. Was there last night.

Send a couple more messages and then I will tell you anything that you want to know about our MH

Back
Top Bottom