Weight limits for towing camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nobody

I am new to ALL of this.

Actually I'm about to buy a lightweight camper to pull behind my Honda Pilot with a towing weight capacity of 4,000#.

I am looking at campers in the high 2,000# - mid 3,000# range. What is the optimal dry weight? For instance, I've seen a camper with Dry Weight of around 3,600#. Can I tow something with this weight? How does weight affect my MPG?

Thanks for all suggestions.

I apologise ahead of time for sounding so bad, but if gas mileage is a major concern, RV'ing isn't for you.
Now to on with the weight issue. Not only does a tow vehicle have to tow the trailer, it must also carry the tongue weight of the trailer. Tongue weight must be at least 10% of the loaded trailers weight, and 12% is better, or the trailer will sway all over the place. Do not use the trailers dry weight. No one goes camping with an empty camper, use the GVWR instead. Also, don't let a salesman like to you. They will tell you that you can pull anything on the lot, just so they can make a sale.

Covered pretty well by kdbgoat.

Dry weight is not a meaningless figure, but it's pretty close to meaningless. The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) of the trailer is the maximum that it's rated to weigh when fully loaded... i.e. what the trailer's frame, axles, and tires can handle. A safety margin of 10% is often discussed around here (although not mandatory), so that would put you around 3600# for your Pilot's 4000# maximum tow rating. However, it's important to know that everything in the SUV (except a 160# driver and full tank of fuel, I believe) counts as cargo too... passengers, chairs, coolers, food, the dog, and whatever else you take camping that doesn't fit in the trailer!

MPG's while pulling a lot of weight will always be terrible. Get used to that idea now and you'll save yourself some mental grief later. ;) The good news is that your towing miles are not really that many of total miles driven, so the expense is usually pretty manageable. Anecdotally, I'd say expect a 40% drop in fuel economy when pulling a trailer that is near the max of what your vehicle can handle. On the best days, my 3/4-ton Suburban gets 10-11mpg driving around, and 6-7mpg towing our 9000# loaded TT. My cousin used to tow a small hybrid TT with his Honda Odyssey minivan... not sure on the weight, but his numbers were around 18mpg regular driving and 11mpg towing.

Welcome to the Forum!

As a direct answer to your question, can you pull a 3600# dry wt camper with your Pilot?  Yes you can, BUT you may not put ANYTHING into the camper nor carry any passengers when you do!

The tow weight capacity assumes 2 passengers at 150# each, a full gas tank Period.  No cargo, no more passengers, no options on the Pilot other than standard equipment.  That 4000# must include the camper and everything in it, the weight of the hitch (and receiver if not factory installed), the weight of all passengers and cargo above 300# carried in the car, the car seats, etc.

A 2000# dry pop up will be close to your limit, I'm afraid.  The GOOD NEWS is our '70 Nimrod Series 70 was a 2000# pop up, and we had many great trips with it.

This is why you never trust a salesman:      http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

Thank you for coming here to ask!

grashley said:
The tow weight capacity assumes 2 passengers at 150# each, a full gas tank Period.

Depending on the age of your Pilot... trust that information above, as I believe it's an update over the 160# driver and tank of gas that I mentioned earlier. I thought that newer vehicles had slightly different standards, but I couldn't remember the details. Thanks Gordon :)

Beginning with the 2014 model year (I think), the Max Trailer Weight was changed to include a base model in the specific configuration, no options except max tow package, full fluids including full fuel tank, and 2 passengers at 150# each.  Prior to that, it was the same, but only ONE passenger (driver) weighing 150#.

This refers to the Max Towing number ONLY.

Payload on the chart includes base model in the specific configuration, no options, no passengers, no cargo.  It does include a full fuel tank.
Yellow Payload Placard is specific to the vehicle to which it is attached, and includes all factory installed options and a full fuel tank.  As stated on the placard, it does not include any passengers or cargo.

Advertising will always be for the configuration with the highest numbers.  (We make a truck which can...)  That is rarely the truck pictured in the ad.

Don't do it go lighter. Camping and travelling is a complete blast tons of fun for the whole family but if you hook that up to your vehicle you will be a total wreck from stress by the time you make it to your destination unless of course the destination is the neighbors driveway.
From experience towed a 2700# dry with a dodge caravan 3500# rated and it was a complete nightmare however the dealer says sure no problem it will tow that no problem and it will under 40mph.
When they state these numbers they should also let people know that this is the max however this is the max safe tow weight.

Sorry Gord i have to argue this Payload capacity is the vehicle ONLY WHEN FULL OF FLUIDS GAS INCL  drivers passengers etc are not included

J Sae 2807 assumes driver and pass at 150 lbs each  not 2 at 200 lbs  or 175 lbs etc each, 10 percent hitch weight not 12 or 13% which is more like realworld conditions in north america its just meant as a benchmark and was concieved in europe for their vehicles and conditions

J2807 is a calculating method meant to dupilcate real conditions it has nothing to do with cargo capacity

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how-it-works-towing-and-payload

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

Steve,

Where did I say 200#??  I may have, but I do not find it.  Your statement about 150# is correct.

PAYLOAD does not include any passengers or cargo.  The infamous yellow placard reads the weight of ALL passengers and cargo...

Max tow includes two passengers and uses all of the remaining payload for hitch wt. and usually use the minimum 10%.  It does not discuss cargo capacity, but it has the vehicle fully loaded with that trailer hitch wt and 2 passengers.

If you tow a TT which weighs in at the max tow when loaded, then add 500# of passengers and cargo above the 2 passenger allowance, you will be overloaded.  If you have a 1500# Payload, then 500# over is 33% overloaded.

All the numbers need to work.

I wouldn't tow anything close to 3,000# with a Pilot. 
Check your payload.  By the time you load up your vehicle with passengers and cargo, how much are you going to have left?
Even a 3,000# trailer with place another 360 pounds on your vehicle.  Then you have to pull it.  Not doable IMO.

My BIL has a Honda Pilot  He tows a Forest River A-Frame.  After we traveled together out west he stated he will not tow anything heavier with the Pilot.

Back
Top Bottom