Atwood water heater maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

My water heater is a gas Atwood G6a-8e.  Being gas only, does it still need to be de-scaled like an electric would?

JoeandJane said:
My water heater is a gas Atwood G6a-8e.  Being gas only, does it still need to be de-scaled like an electric would?

Most definitely if you mean flushing it?  It is good to buy a flushing wand and flush it annually but that also depends on what kind of water you're using. You may be able to go 2 or 3 years. I only have to do mine every 2 or 3 years.

"De-scaled"? Does that mean flushing at least annually?  If so, the answer is YES. Whether the heat comes from electric or gas, the tank still gets an accumulation of salts from the heated water.  The amount of salt sediment varies with the quality of the water and amount of use, but gas vs electric is not a factor. Scale is not so common as sediment, but still something that is more related to water quality than heating method.

OK, but my previous advice stands. It's the water quality that causes the scale (or not).

Follow the instructions that Atwood provides - see this brief flyer:

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/WaterHeaterServiceTri-Fold.pdf

I never "De-Scaled" and the thing lasted 12 years. Replaced it due to a leak last year.

Dumped out a lot of mineral gunk however.. I'll be flushing from time to time or at least draining it (last time I drained it was this spring).  Well it was cold and the choice was drain it or make it hot. So I drained it)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom