RV Quality and Lemon Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AStravelers

I just found a link to a listing of newer (mostly 2017) RV's which have had the most calls to a law firm which specializes in Lemon Laws:  http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/lemon-laws/vehicle-type/rv/most-common-lemon-rvs/

The source of this info is from an online RV Newsletter from RVTravel.com.

Links to articles about RV Lemons and Lemon Laws:

How to avoid buying an RV Lemon:  http://rvtravel.com/how-to-avoid-buying-an-rv-lemon/

When the Dealer hands you a Lemon:  http://rvtravel.com/845-when-the-dealer-hands-you-a-lemon/

Got a Lemon RV? Help is available (sometimes):  http://rvtravel.com/got-a-lemon/

It is important to note that calls to a law firm are not an indicator of cases actually filed or resolutions. Some folks freak out over relatively minor issues, and law firms love getting calls for potential business. 

I'm cracking myself up right now imagining Motor Homes driving down the highways, being chased by lawyers trying to get them to pull over just so they can ask them: "Are you happy with your Motor Home?  Do you want to sue the manufacturer?"

My first thought when looking at the list from the lawyers site in "lemons" was - -Hahaha, they basically listed every unit some of the listed manufacturers make.  Second - I wondered if "Lemon Laws" even apply to RV's without a drivetrain/chassis.  I looked into it a little and as far as I can tell lemon laws might only apply to a Motorhome and not to a TT (of any sort), except to the under frame and suspension.  Lastly, as near as I can tell most of the issues revolve around quality and warranty. If you buy something, anything, (an RV in this case) the buyer is responsible to conduct a complete and through walk through and exercise EVERYTHING!!! prior to taking possession.  If the buyer gets diamond eyes and takes possession knowing the unit has outstanding issues, (documented or not) unless its drivetrain/chassis related you will be dealing with warranty issues at the dealers mercy with NO lemon law protection.  Quality and craftsmanship are warranty issues - the safe, mechanical operation of the vehicle is - lemon law.  a cabinet, refrigerator, couch, sink etc... has nothing to do with the SAFE mechanical operation, which is what the DMV, MVA, BMV is concerned about when dealing with a lemon law.  I will add, as far as I know, new delivery issues aren't normally chassis issues they are quality issues with the interior.

Everybody wants to think the best of others, and nobody wants to be "that guy".  My advice is to conduct a complete walk through, exercise everything and drive it - not for 5 miles but for 50 miles prior to taking possession. At this point and until you take possession you are still shopping and negotiating - not the owner.  Its not your problem until your the owner, don't let the dealer make his problem yours by taking delivery of a unit with known problems.
If you are concerned enough stay in the dealers lot for 2 or 3 days overnight to find issues, and again PRIOR to taking possession and ownership.  At worst you walk away prior to taking possession and then you are only dealing with a potential loss of your down payment -$500, which you "could" get back if they can't deliver a unit free from flaw because they will break the contract not you.

The BEST thing you can do when you order the new unit is to make sure you add "delivered free from flaw and damage" and add a no later than delivery date also adding "time is of the essence".  This way you won't take delivery with known "punch"issues and if they can't deliver it "free from flaw or damage by said date the contract becomes void and you get your deposit back.

This is not to say there aren't "lemon laws" that cover RV's, because there are, but they are not as wide reaching as most folks would like them to be.

I am NOT an Attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - and I watch Judge Judy, The Peoples Court, and Judge Mathis. :D

One of the problems with Lemon Laws is that Though a Motor Home is very clearly an "Automobile" both insurance companies and Lemon laws..  Do not seem to think so.

SO... When I bought a new used car.. The insurance REFUSED to extend coverage to cover it  Now I've forgiven them but it cost them about 8,000 to earn my forgiveness.

Likewise Automotive LEMON laws may "exempt" an RV.  or not since laws vary depending on point of purchase and residence.

Back
Top Bottom