Ukes on the go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyncie

Hey! Cool to see a section for muscians who travel. I definitely plan to take some music with me when I start wintering over in the warmer climates.

I have played a lot of instruments over the years, but my current love is the ukulele. I have a nice collection of sopranos, concerts and one lone tenor. I plan to leave my Waterman in the RV so I always have a uke for beach and campfire singing, and take something a little better when I?m snowbirding for practice and any performance opportunities. I have a Kala Shark that is pretty durable and is my go-to practice and travel uke, but my best instrument is a Pono soprano.

Any recommendations on the care and feeding of the ukulele on the road would be appreciated. Plus, what are the chances of doing some busking in temporary settings?

[quote author=Cyncie]Any recommendations on the care and feeding of the ukulele on the road would be appreciated.[/quote]
The only things I do for TLC of my ukes is to keep them in a hard case and a 'safe' place while going down the highway, and give them an occasional dust-off with a Swiffer duster.
Plus, what are the chances of doing some busking in temporary settings?
Busking per se may be frowned on.

Some acquaintances almost always play around the campfire at campgrounds/state parks. They'll ask if there are any organized events and, if not, they'll start playing around the campfire. They say that folks come out of the woodwork to listen, sing along, or play along.

When we stay in a new location longer than a few days, I'll google for ukulele clubs in the area, and call to see if it's OK to join them. e.g. when we stayed in Indio (southern California), I found several uke clubs between Indio and Palm Dessert, comprised largely of snowbird RVers.

When we stay at our summer RV lot in WY I put an article in the park newsletter and on notice boards. I get emails and phone calls from visiting RVers who wish to join us and play. I don't restrict it to ukuleles, and one regular plays a tuba.

Attachments

• StarValley4.jpg
    StarValley4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks! Snowbird clubs sound like a fun time. I?ll have to keep an eye out for notices for jams and such.

Maybe we'll run into each other and play somewhere along the way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom