Water tank fill problem 1996 American Eagle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheri_L

having problems filling the water tank in our 1996 American Eagle. We haven't had it too long. City Water works fine but when we try to fill the tank it seems like the water keeps coming out the overflow tubes. We have tried following the convoluted instructions and even took it to a repair shop but they can't figure it out either. Please help!!!

Welcome to the Forum!

First, are you saying not filling because the gauge says empty?  It's accuracy is questionable at best.

I assume this is a gravity fill tank - no hose connection for filling.  Mine is similar.  When I try to fill with a hose, the water goes in faster than the air can come out, and it "burps" a lot.  I can get water in, but s l o w l y.  Reducing flow rate on the hose helps some.  What did work was to use a water heater cleaning tool to fill the tank.  It is long enough and skinny enough to get into the tank, past the fill hose and fill the tank without the burps.

Even with water in the tank, the pump runs excessively, probably because it has air in the pump and does not prime itself as well as it used to.  That may be an issue for you, too.

After trying to fill the tank, have you pulled the fresh tank drain to see what or how much comes out?  That may be your best gauge on how much WAS in the tank.

Hi Cheri,
I basically had the same problem as you with our fun finder. More water came back out the fill hole than was going in so here is what i did. We run our water through a filter connected to our fill hose. I cut a 2 ft piece of  flexible garden hose with the right connection on the end to screw onto my filter end and run it down into the tank (basically what  Grashley did with water heater cleaner) and it solved or problem.

Back
Top Bottom