Trailer Tire Ripples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate in FL

My family took our first camping trip in our new trailer last week. While inflating my trailer tires prior to leaving the campground I noticed, for the first time, several ripples (aka dents, grooves) in my brand new tires (they were manufactured at the end of 2017). I initially freaked out before scanning the other tires and observing at all of the tires had these same grooves. I convinced myself this was normal and headed home without incident. This first trip was very close to home.

I did some research after getting home and it appears these may be normal, but I am just looking to the trusty forum for some reassurance (or otherwise). Is it normal to have these ripples in tires? This may be something on all tires but I have never taken the time to notice them before. Thanks!

I did not think to take pics sorry, but i am hoping some of yall may know what I am referring to without the need to see pictures.

Surface blemishes in the sidewall rubber are not uncommon, especially in cheaper grade tires. One of the differences in tire brands is the amount of money the brand spends to deliver cosmetically pleasing tires.

The rubber surface you see is like a coat of paint, basically just a covering for the real sidewall underneath.  Slight dents or bumps may occur where the body cords underneath end or turn.

Sadly, RV manufacturers typically choose the cheapest tire they can legally get away with, so load capacity, tread life and appearance are often on the low end of the range.

Like Gary said it is pretty common to have bumps,groves and places where the plys overlap showing in the side walls. When you get a chance just walk around and look at some outher tires.
Bill

Depending on the size the defects may indeed be just cosmetic, particularly if they are not radial tires. The  usual cause for pronounced ripples is that the reinforcing fabric is shrinking asymetrically (tire fabric, as opposed to steel or kevlar belts, shrinks as the tire is cured) causing the reinforcement to differ in length (radial reinforcement extends from bead to bead). This in turn causes "steps" between adjacent groups of fibers. Within limits this may not be serious as the rubber is strong enough to bridge the step. I wouldn't worry too much so long as the steps are smaller than about 30 to 50 mils (up to 1/20 of an inch).

Ernie

Vertical indentation on sidewall from rim to tread. A common byproduct of radial tire construction, sidewall indentations/undulations are more noticeable in tires with taller sidewalls or operate at higher inflation pressures.

Thanks everyone! We purchased the TT brand new this year but new tires are near the top of my short list of upgrades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom