Question for those who specifically have the Tristar MPPT 60 controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

The day I had my system installed the firmware was already out of date - no fault of the installer Morningstar fairly abruptly said too bad, here's how to update it. Because (according to Morningstar and as far as I could tell) the older firmware did not impact operation, I never bothered to deal with it.

Fast forward to now, I recently added one more panel and I'm not convinced the system is operating correctly. So I figured before I go back to the installer this would be a good time to update the firmware. Now, I consider myself reasonably tech savvy, and do pretty well with reading directions/manuals etc, but seriously. A 37 page manual written for solar engineers, and VERY poor and overly brief instructions on firmare update on the Morningstar site. This morning I started searching again for info, and ran across a series of how to videos on the Morningstar site, one specific to firmware update on the MPPT 60. Finally I think. Wrong. These videos, on the Morningstart site, are all shot by amateurs. Screenshots of their home computers, missing audio, missing details, you name it.  :mad: I did gather though, that a simple firmware update is not simple at all, involving disconnecting the array, shutting off (there is no switch) the controller, backing up settings, updating firmware, uploading old setting, etc etc etc.

To my question specifically for any Tristar MPPT 60 owners out there, have you done a firmware upgrade? If yes, I'll come back with a list of questions

Thanks in advance.

I have a Tristar MPPT 60, but I have not tried to update the Firmware. 

What additional features will we gain by updating the Firmware?

I agree the manual sure could be better written.

AStravelers said:
I have a Tristar MPPT 60, but I have not tried to update the Firmware. 

What additional features will we gain by updating the Firmware?

I agree the manual sure could be better written.

No additional features that I know of. From day 1 I?ve been getting an ?Alarm? error on the remote panel. Morningstar says this doesn?t affect operation but that the firmware needs to be updated. I?ve got some other issues since install of another panel and wanted to eliminate firmware as a cause

Hi Scott,  I updated my firmware about six months ago without any problems.  Let me dig out the computer that I did it with and see if I can find the details.  standby...

Nothing standing out at me as very helpful on the old computer.

I posted this after doing the update: http://jdfinley.com/programming-solar-charge-controller-lithium/

I remember using the MSView and MSLoad utilities from MorningStar but not seeing any step-by-step documents that I may have followed.  I did find the note online about NOT using the 'reset controller' option in the utility.  In my case, I have circuit breakers between the array and controller as well as between controller and battery so switching things off was pretty straightforward. Without those, yes - probably not great fun.

Do you have any specific questions or 'bumps' I can looker closer at and/or try to answer?

Oh fyi... my problem was not related to the controller at all. Occasionally, when the array was producing lots of power (near 60 amps at 24 volts), the controller would power cycle.  Fought that for a while before I figured out it was a bad circuit breaker (low quality).  Since replacing it, no issues.  Morningstar tech support was very helpful with that - even though it wasn't even their problem.

JDOnTheGo said:
Nothing standing out at me as very helpful on the old computer.

I posted this after doing the update: http://jdfinley.com/programming-solar-charge-controller-lithium/

I remember using the MSView and MSLoad utilities from MorningStar but not seeing any step-by-step documents that I may have followed.  I did find the note online about NOT using the 'reset controller' option in the utility.  In my case, I have circuit breakers between the array and controller as well as between controller and battery so switching things off was pretty straightforward. Without those, yes - probably not great fun.
Do you have any specific questions or 'bumps' I can looker closer at and/or try to answer?
Hey JD I've been meaning to drop you a line and see how the project's going. That bus is pretty!

I'll have a look at your link. My primary question I guess you've kinda answered. The instructions (maddening BTW if you're not an engineer - e.g., "restart the controller" with no further comment) talk about shutting off the controller and the array before doing the firmware update. I see the array disconnect, but the only thing between the controller and the battery that I can see is a 60A fuse. Didn't seem reasonable to pull the fuse, but I suppose if the array is off there's virtually nothing flowing through the fuse, right?
I've got some other issue going on also and think I'm going to have to take the rig back to the installer. Solar is barely putting out 30-40% of what is should, and is acting weird at times. Did a rundown test to 50% according to the Trimetric. With shore power off the solar just sat there showing 12V and zero output. At times during the rundown (inverter+convection) the solar was putting out 300+W while Trimetric shunt reported about -160A, then when the oven would cycle off and the shunt load would diminish to -20ish, the solar output would drop to near nothing. I have no idea what to make of it, other than a wire is either loose or misplaced somewhere.
One thing, the Tristar remote meter is reporting "Battery Sense 0.00 volts invalid" - that can't be good.

Sun2Retire said:
Hey JD I've been meaning to drop you a line and see how the project's going. That bus is pretty!

pretty BIG!! Ha!!  :eek:  Thanks!

Sun2Retire said:
Didn't seem reasonable to pull the fuse, but I suppose if the array is off there's virtually nothing flowing through the fuse, right?

Yes, that is acceptable.  You can also press the button that is 'under' the little hole on the controller panel itself for a few seconds and the controller will restart.

What you describe certainly does not sound good.  I assume you've went thru all the connections (positive and negative) and made sure they are "solid"/not corroded. Also cleaned the panels and made sure there is no shading.

What are your DIP switch settings?

Do you have a battery sense cable/wire?  The controller should work ok without it (not ideal) but  As I'm sure you are aware, error messages can be misleading sometimes. Still, I would focus on it (battery sense) until proven ok.  Double check it (good connections, not pinched or something).  If you disconnect it from the controller and connect to a meter, does it display battery voltage? (it should).  There should be a fuse in that battery sense line, check it and make sure connections are good/clean.

Once battery sense wire/connection is proven ok we can assume that the error is misleading. It is not required so disconnect it and see if operation improves.  I would expect that it would NOT change.

Update, still haven't done the firmware upgrade as, according to Tristar, the old firmware has no effect on operation. However the issues I was having after the last panel was installed have been resolved. Recapping, I was getting all kinds of crazy, conflicting info when comparing the Xantrex panel, the Tristar remote meter and the Trimetric. Turns out the battery voltage and temp sensors had not been connected on the Tristar. Essentially the controller had no idea what was going on with the batteries. They;re connected now and all is well - Trimetric is happy, Tristar is happy, Scott is happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom