Rand McNally Overdryve 7 RV review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

I was tired of the GPS system in my Ram and the $150/year map updates so I wanted a map routing solution for Rv-ers. Camping World had the Overdryve 7 RV on sale so I took a chance and am delighted. The unit is an Android tablet base that Rand McNally built their GPS unit on. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars only because the tablet does not support Google Play apps.

Here's what I really like:
  • Large 7-inch screen that even my old eyes can see without glasses
  • The heavy base has the GPS built into it, but even when the unit is detached, it will still find your location with the built in GPS within the tablet
  • Live traffic, weather, and gas prices right on the display. You can instantly see the gas/diesel prices (your choice) in the location icons on the screen.
  • Free lifetime map updates.
  • The digital version of the Rand McNally paper map is available right on the unit, also with free updates.
  • Probably the best part is the "Exit" feature in which you can see all the services available at upcoming freeway exits. I don't know how many times I have passed an exit wishing I had known a particular service was available there only to see it pass by my window.
  • I can plan my trips using Trip Maker on my PC, and it is automatically available on the GPS unit when I enter my vehicle.
  • It works like an Android tablet - I can have multiple apps running at the same time. For example, I like Waze so it is running in the background as I am using the regular navigation system.
  • It displays the altitude
  • A simple screen click and you switch between map and step-by-step directions
  • the unit attaches to the base by 3 powerful magnets which makes it a snap to detach it when you leave the vehicle, or want to use it like a regular tablet. I was pleasantly shocked to realize that the platform is so stable there is little movement even while on bad roads.
  • You input your rig specs so the unit will route you using the best roads for your RV. The specs are so detailed it asks you your rig height, length, and weight.
  • The unit will send music and video to your stereo system
Here are the negatives:
  • The most important one: it does not support anything provided by Google Play services, including Google Maps. There are several apps I like that will not run because they are built on Google services, such as Gas Buddy, Facebook (which will run, but in a limited way), the Good Sam app, and others. If you want to run apps, they have a list of alternative app stores, but even on those, half would not run because they use Google services.
  • You cannot click the icons on the map to see more detail. For example, there are dozens of food icons on the map when you approach an area, but you cannot see what they are without going into the "Exit" feature.
All in all, this is the best GPS unit I have ever used.

Hi,
Do you have any updates to this review?  My wife and I are full-timers and need something better than google maps and the nav on my 2015 chevy truck.
thanks,
Guy

Yes, actually. I've now used it on several long trips this summer, and am increasingly pleased. There was a tunnel on my desired route that the unit decided was too low, and it did it's best to steer me around that obstacle. The tunnel was okay, but I had accidentally set the height of my fiver too high so it chose a better route to avoid the danger. After I set the height correctly, I went the route again a month later and all was okay.

On my route home, Google maps chose a particular route, and the Rand GPS chose something different, which turned out to be a truck route that was much more scenic. There was hardly any traffic on that route, and we were very pleased.

Another positive note: my truck GPS will not let you do anything unless you are standing still, but the Rand GPS will let my wife input way points or new destinations while I am driving.

I have used Microsoft's OneNote for years now, professionally and personally, and the Rand GPS will allow me to run it at the same time as the trip routing GPS - you can easily switch between the screens. I like using OneNote for keeping track of potentially sketchy intersections, using captured satellite Google photos. Now my wife can show me the overhead picture of the intersection I have prepared on OneNote before I ever get there so I can be in the correct lane, etc. Nice thing is that I prepare my route in advance of my trip, so I can check if the Rand GPS agrees with the Google-based trips I have investigated to be sure I am not taken down a rat hole from which there is only a difficult escape.  ;D

I now use the truck GPS stepped way back to see the main cities we are headed to, and the Rand GPS for the fine detail.

If I connect the Rand GPS to my phone for Internet, I can also use Waze and Google maps (as long as I do not try to log in) so there are three different verifications of the route (4 if you count the truck GPS).  Sure, that is overkill, but if you have ever gone down a single lane road at night and ended up at a dead end with no turn-around, GPS redundancy is a welcome feature.

One additional feature is that because it is an Android tablet, you can do Facebook, and most other apps you like to use once you get to camp.

My two cents -

In my opinion the magnetic mount takes up way too much space. I had an issue with it (can't remember what it was) & called Tech Support which was a complete waste of time. The employees are contracted to Rand McNally in a Call Center somewhere & I was frustrated enough that I returned it & got a refund. I paid somewhere around $450 - $500 for it & a few months later saw them at Best Buy for around $300. I'll admit that the Android tablet was a good thing & I was planning on using various apps (Gas Buddy, Walmart Overnight Parking, etc) but it wasn't worth the hassle.

If I was going to buy a dedicated RV GPS I'd buy the $390 Garmin RV 770 on Amazon. I have full time friends who use it & highly recommend it. You may want to search YouTube for reviews of various brands/models but I just got back from a 6300 mile trip & used my iPhone 6 & an old Garmin 50. In the past I used a Gen 3 iPad in a Ram mount on a vertical stalk I made. Since it's just me if the nav stuff intrudes into the passenger side of my pickup it's not an issue.

I was sold on one until I read that it does not support or limited on which apps it will download.  I was hoping to consolidate into one device.  Deal breaker for me.  Appreciate the review.

Does the Overdryve 7 RV tablet support voice navigation? I only see voice assistant for phone calls.

I can use more volume. Can my tablet play audio navigation instructions via the smart mount bracket? How to enable?

I downloaded my custom POIs and see them listed, but there's not a way to manage them as in my
older RM units where I could set up warning distances and alert sounds for each.
The manage My custom POIs tab is missing and needed from this unit. Was this an oversight?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom