My favorite traveling apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

In addition to apps for the actual travel (like Waze), here are a few apps that extend the fun while you are at your destination:
  • Audubon birding app. for anyone that likes to watch birds, this one is really good giving you information and even bird sounds
  • All Trails - if you like to hike, then this is the best we have found
  • If you like to observe plants and animals, then iNaturalist might be your cup of tea
Anyone have any other favorites?

Besides the Audubon Birds, they also have Butterflies, Insects & Spiders, Trees, and Wildflowers, and FalconGuides has Scats and Tracks Of North America. I also like BackCountry Navigator and Allstays Camp & RV (no longer available on Android), along with Colorado Roads (by the state) and New Mexico Roads -- there are many other states available, but they do take space, so I only get them if needed, then drop them later -- since I live in Colorado.

Also handy are various weather apps, such as WeatherBug and Weather Underground. If you're outdoors in a campground at night Skymap will let you aim your tablet/phone at the sky and see identification for stars and constellations, and Skymap Android has a bunch of additional features (in spite of the names, they are two separate apps).

Finally, on my Ipad I have Topo Maps which is great for four wheeling, since you can, among other things, save tracks of routes you've traveled and load tracks saved by you or others to allow you to follow a loaded route that may not even be on roads.

Thanks for posting!  My wife has already downloaded Allstays Camp & RV ad found the place we are planning to visit this weekend. Full of great information  :)

Next on the list is Skymap - she loves to star gaze  ;)

If you like to hike and take photos, there is an app called Relive which is free. A Swiss guy we met last night was showing us his hikes in  Zion and Yosemite. It shows the route and the photos in a video along with where and how far. Not sure how it affects battery life etc but it was pretty cool. He and his brother are super fit and did a few long hikes in one day, I was very impressed, and jealous!

Edit.... scrap that looks like limited use then you need to pay. Monthly fee..  ok if you are a serious hiker....

We use Topo too, very useful.  Would have skymaps. I will get the Audubon ones as they sound very useful indeed.  Thanks for recommendations.

I am considering loading the historical markers app onto my iPod as we often pass these on the road but can't stop with TT so it would be good to know what they were. Unfortunately no android version, sigh.....

Larry N. said:
Finally, on my Ipad I have Topo Maps which is great for four wheeling, since you can, among other things, save tracks of routes you've traveled and load tracks saved by you or others to allow you to follow a loaded route that may not even be on roads.
I looked for topo map apps, and there are a number of apps with similar names. Which one did you get?

UTTransplant said:
I looked for topo map apps, and there are a number of apps with similar names. Which one did you get?

Once installed it's just called "Topo Maps" -- in the app store it's called "Topo Maps US" by David Crawshay, Version 5.5.

pz said:
In addition to apps for the actual travel (like Waze), here are a few apps that extend the fun while you are at your destination:
  • Audubon birding app. for anyone that likes to watch birds, this one is really good giving you information and even bird sounds
  • If you like to observe plants and animals, then iNaturalist might be your cup of tea
In my opinion the Waze navigation is the best one because its really clear and reliable and works in every country in the world (think so).

Great topic!
We use Glympse a lot (https://glympse.com/) to send a live map showing our location as we drive to various friends & family at times.

Sky Map by Google is also pretty cool.

I also use the paid Android version of Ultra GPS Logger (https://tinyurl.com/y9t5u5ev) to record tracks-- mainly when biking around a site we're visiting.

pz said:

Not an app, but a fun and useful web page is roadside america https://www.roadsideamerica.com/.  It just has silly attractions that I wouldn't really go out of my way for, like Paisano Pete, the huge roadrunner statue in fort stockton, TX, but if we're passing close by, why not?

CoPilot GPS and Waze are my damn favourite ones but Duolingo (can translate language) and Culture Trip app sounds good while travelling outside of US.

Classic TripAdvisor app is also useful when you're not sure what to visit in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom