Wax and or polish for gel coats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curt

Well I just tried Meguires #50 cleaner wax on my fiver and I have to say I did not like it.
I have used Meguires products many times for my truck and bike with no issues....however I found it blotchy and don't want to do my whole rig with it.
I was wondering what waxes and or polish members have used for gel coat?
The paint is in good shape and has a nice gloss to it for a 2012....I do have some faint water stains on the front cap.
Thanks in advance!

If your gel coat is oxidized (chalky), you'll first need to use an abrasive fiberglass restorer product.

Following oxidation removal, long-lasting results, especially if your RV spends a lot of time in the sun, are best achieved using a carnuba-based heavy paste wax, but it requires a lot of elbow grease.

Some products include both the abrasive and carnuba wax in the same product. In liquid form, this is relatively easy to apply, requiring less elbow grease than the heavy paste wax. One such product is made by http://www.productioncarcare.com/ and is used by many boat and RV detailers. Similar products by different manufacturers can be found on the shelves of auto parts stores.

Thank you Tom....IMHO the finish is in nice shape and has a nice sheen to it....front cap could probably use a mild compound...it the product itself I find blotchy....when I wipe it off and look down the side of the rig it appears as though some of the product is still on.....even though I have gone over it numerous times with a micro fibre...

First question is whether you are working on the gel coat itself or a painted surface. Or something in-between, which would be gel coat witha clear coa appplied over it.

I don't like Maguiar's 50 either, but it is a polish, designed to remove oxidation. If the surface is painted or clear-coated and in decent condition, #50 is probably not what you want. You may want a lighter duty cleaner/wax product that won't swirl as much.

For a RV with painted surface, use the same products you use on your car.  You are polishing paint, not gel coat or filon.

Roger that....thank you Gary....your thoughts on the faint water stains on the front cap....maybe a light cut compound?

This works well on gel coat,  If you read car polishes,  they say they don't work on most of the fancy expensive brands.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nu+finish

We got this at Oriley's in Yuma and put it on our TT and a year later it still shines and looks nice.

Thank you Tom.....I've seen some good reviews on this product....used it many years ago....may be time to give it a try.

Nu Finish is an amazing product. I've used it for years. However, it doesn't really remove oxidation. It only fills the oxidation with silicone, which makes it look good. That may be enough for a lot of folks.

your thoughts on the faint water stains on the front cap....maybe a light cut compound?
Probably. I would start with the NuFinish and if that doesn't polish it out, go progressively coarser until something works.  Turtle Wax makes a light compound they call Scratch & Swirl Remover than works well without going too deep.  You might need more, though, if the rust stain was penetrated the surface and into the pores of the fiberglass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom