How to Be A Wise Purchaser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothawk

On CL, there is an ad for a 2016 Mercedes powered class C with only 16000 miles on it.  The asking price is only $17100.  So I wrote the lady.  She replied that she and her husband are going to be in Canada for two years and need the money now.  She wants to sell this week.  Not interested in anyone planning to finance. 

My scam alarms caught fire. 

So, I am wondering what measures one can take to protect themselves in a RV purchase?  How does one know the title is clear?  Free of liens?  Not fraudulent?  How does  one know it has no history of wrecks. 

As always, thanks in advance.

To start it is probably a scam. Ask for a copy of the title or vin. Do not ever pay unless you have seen the unit and agree on a price. If they give you excuses why they can't meet or this and that walk away. There are alot of people that say they are in the military or lost a spouse. Don't get caught up in the story. Most of the time they still pictures off another post and use them to scam. They usually want to use pay pal or set up the arrangements through a third party. When I get board I respond to them and just keep asking questions until they stop responding.

In the last few weeks I've noticed in the Spokane, Coeur d'Alene area many scam postings in the RV section. Price is super low, usually below $20,000, for a newer upscale Class A. That usually is enough to tell me it's a scam, but sometimes I also grab the email and do a Google search on that email and find it in multiple Craiglists postings around the country. There used to be a way for users to flag postings on Craiglist but I haven't seen that for several years.

Yep, weather started warming up, and the scammers started in. Still seeing some of the same ads as last year.  There is a way to flag. Open the ad, and check "prohibited".

You can also ask for the vehicle Tag number, Vin Number and their name and then call the Vehicle Registration in that state and tell them what you are doing. They will tell you if that is who owns that trailer.  They may not tell you who does own it if they don't however. I did that with a car I purchased a few years ago because it seemed too good to be true. I was lucky and they were the owners. If they won't give you their name and vin number then at least you know they are fake. However, as others have said, at that price I would be very careful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom