Shower not draining - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popquizz

So, water is coming back up into shower pan. It wont drain. Ive dumped the grey and black tanks and tried plunging.  Do i try draino?

Is this RV new to you? If it is, There's a high probability that there is another gray tank and it may full and needs to be dumped. We see this problem all the time and 99 times out of 100, it's a second gray tank.
What do you have for a RV? Make and Model. Go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Is this a new to you RV? There may be more than one gray tank. On the last trailer I had, the valves for my black and one of the gray tanks we're close to each other and pretty visible. The other gray tank valve was about 4'away, and couldn't be seen without ducking down and looking at the frame of the trailer.

Oops, Rene types faster :)

No, there is only one grey tank. This is the first time out since winterizing though. I?m wondering if it?s a stack issue from critters???  It?s collecting in the shower pan, bathroom sink seems to be related as it bubbles a bit when I run water.  Toilet and kitchen sink have no effect.

Popquizz said:
No, there is only one grey tank. This is the first time out since winterizing though. I?m wondering if it?s a stack issue from critters???  It?s collecting in the shower pan, bathroom sink seems to be related as it bubbles a bit when I run water.  Toilet and kitchen sink have no effect.

Don't believe it would be a stack issue. If the stack was plugged solid, I think the water would drain but it would be real slow.

maybe the drain is plugged solid. Try removing the strainer and look down the pipe. You may be able to remove the clog if that's where it is.

Does the bathroom sink drain OK. Not sure if they are plumbed together before going into the grey tank. I am assuming they are. The vent stack shouldn't cause it not to drain. It would just make it slow.

It appears to drain okay, but I believe it drains up into shower pan.  We have never used the shower. 
Normally one would think grey tank full, yet I just drained it.

Rene T said:
maybe the drain is plugged solid. Try removing the strainer and look down the pipe. You may be able to remove the clog if that's where it is.

I've had a slow drain that would fill the shower pan but eventually drain.  Removing the strainer, inserting a wire clothe hanger and pulling out a clump of hair did the trip. 

Popquizz said:
It appears to drain okay, but I believe it drains up into shower pan.  We have never used the shower. 
Normally one would think grey tank full, yet I just drained it.

You are going to have to do as Rene suggested and see if you can remove the cover and get something down there. If you are at home or somewhere yoou can open your grey tank and run the sinks and shower to see if anything is draining it may help.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!  Many of the showers have a HEPVO valve instead of a P trap.  The HepVO valve has a rubber duckbill inside it to prevent backups and gas coming into the rig.  We thought we had a clog, snaked the drain, and DESTROYED the HepVO valve.  KNOW BEFORE YOU SNAKE THAT DRAIN!!

You can safely use a plunger to try to straighten out the duckbill inside the valve.  But dont snake it unless you know for sure you don't have a HepVo valve!

Good to know about the HEPVO valve.  When I used a clothe hanger to pull out a clump of hair, I only had to go about an inch or two below the drain grate.  If that happens again and the clog is lower in the pipe, I'll try the plunger. 

Rene, you were correct in your original answer; there is a fourth gate! The fine folks who winterized my Trailer must?ve closed it.  The 3 visible gates are Grey, Black, and dual drain.  Way far back is another grey that was the culprit...

Back
Top Bottom