Inverter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brajo50

Hello,

I took my 1999 Newman Dutchstar out of storage a few weeks ago. I was getting it ready for camping this weekend and realized my fridge and hot water heater  only runs on propane. If I start the generator both work on electric. They both do not work on shore power. Any help? I checked the inverter and no fuses are blown.

Adam

Yes. I had the generator running and turned the AC unit on. It ran and when I shut the generator off the AC seemed to continue to work. I could only run one of them as my breaker in the house cannot handle both.

Adam

Fridge and Water heater (If the water's already HOT you do not heat it ) do not work off inverter by design.> Here is why

Inverter let's ay 8it is 2000 watts.
Microwave is 1100 RUNNING
TV's and such draw up to around 500 Total you now have only 400 watts left

Fridge draws 400 on A/C.. More or less depending on the brand and model but about 400, You now have NOTHING left. Water heater is 1500 watts..

So normally those devices are on the MAIN power panel, not the SUB panel (inverter powered) ... Just the TV"s. Microwave and GFCI chain,

As John says, the inverter is not in any way involved with this problem.  However, if they works with the genset running but not on shore power, btu other 120v things work, I'm pretty confident your problem is with the transfer switch that shifts between genset and shore power.  On of the relays did not engage for shore power, leaving some appliances without power.  Apparently the relay worked the next time you changed from genset to shore.

Might be time for a new auto transfer switch.

Back
Top Bottom