Selling a 5th Wheel RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vrollins

Has anyone had success in selling a newer model 5th Wheel on line?  And if yes, what media or websites did you use to get the best traffic?  I've placed an ad on RVTrader.com and had a lot of views but no good inquiries.  I am getting a lot of calls from marketers (if that's what you want to call them) that have seen my RVTrader.com post and say they will place my RV on a number of websites for a "refundable" fee if they don't sell it for me in an certain amount of time.  Not sure if that is a scam or not.  But curious to see how or where anyone in this forum has been successful in selling.

Thank you,
Vickie

vrollins said:
I am getting a lot of calls from marketers (if that's what you want to call them) that have seen my RVTrader.com post and say they will place my RV on a number of websites for a "refundable" fee if they don't sell it for me in an certain amount of time.  Not sure if that is a scam or not. 

If you can find them.
How about Craig's List.

I would try Craigslist since it's free. I have sold all kinds of things from little things to cars and trucks. If you have Facebook it's marketplace is growing also. Also free

We bought our FW from a private seller on RVTrader.  Include lots of pictures of a beautiful, clean camper!  I can't believe it when pictures include an unmade bed or dirty dishes in a sink!

Bought and sold many RV's on Craigslist.
Most ads I see on RTV or RV Trader are overpriced.
Folks tend to add everything as options when they are not.
Realistic pricing helps.
Pricing to get a payoff on a loan that's only 2-3 years old is going to be very hard. RV depreciation is a bit nasty.

Thanks for your feedback.  I purchased this 5th Wheel from RV Trader 2 years ago and found it a great place to search and buy.  But I currently have it listed on RV Trader, Craig's List and a number of FB marketplaces and yard sales...but just not getting good hits.  I think financing is an issue...those who are most interested want me to finance it.  Red Flag!!!  I do have some really beautiful pictures of the RV posted because it is a really beautiful unit.  I guess I'll just continue to hold out and see what happens.

I was just curious if anyone had ever tried selling and been contacted by these 'mortgage brokers' who say they will advertise for you for a fee.  I know I'm a skeptic but each place wants between $200 and $300 to list and, though that's not a huge amount of money, I nevertheless don't want to throw it away.  I have no way to know if their advertising and the social networks they place the ads on really get any traffic.  And checking the BBB on these companies gives mixed reviews...some are glowing, some are horrible.  I was reaching out to this forum...who had been great to me over the last couple of years...for your trusted feedback!!!  Thanks!!!

You need to remember that price sells. You need to go to the valuation sites NADA and the other and determine what your RV is worth. Should price somewhere around trade in value. Chances are that is why you have not received any response. Also stay away from the people who contact you saying they will sell your RV for a price, usually a scam.

I would ask the marketers where they are going to advertise it as you?ve already got the most popular sites covered. Personally, I?d steer clear of them. Also, as I?m sure you know, watch out for the Craigslist scanmers who want to send you a check for more than your asking price and then they want you to send them the balance back.

Thanks again for the advice.  I do believe my RV is priced right...I've done my calculations on NADA and even had a dealer confirm that it's priced right so I feel ok about that.  I do appreciate the comment regarding Craig's List contacts that promise to sell my RV.  I've had a couple of them reach out to me already and I just hung up having gotten a creepy feeling about them.  I also had a company called Seller Network contact me who assured me they listed on web sites such as Field and Stream and even encouraged me to see their ad on the site.  But anyone can make a web site, and when I researched them on BBB, they had about 4 different names over the last 6 years.  Though they had a B rating, there were very mixed reviews on the BBB site.  I actually wouldn't mind a broker as I'd be ok paying a commission to sell, but most dealers have enough of their own stock, they don't want to take anything on consignment.

But thanks again...I'll consider repricing my RV, stick with RV Trader because I think they are reputable, and see where it goes.  You have all been great!!!  I really appreciate this forum.  Will miss it when I'm no longer and RV-er!!

I do not know where you are, but PPL in Texas is a consignment only place with lots of inventory.  I remember a couple folks here have used them and were happy.

Remember also, you only need one buyer!  Quality trumps quantity!

We are starting to look at 5th wheels and motor-homes.  From a potential buyer perspective (not right now, sometime in the future - sorry) I can tell you where I look and what interests me.  Of course other people will have different options and preferences. 

1.  I look at RV trader, autotrader, dealer sites and simlar places, but mostly to get pricing and see what is out there.  I figure the dealer prices there are 30% over what the sale price should be in a private party sale, both because the dealer will negotiate the asking price and because with a private party you expect to pay less because you do not get perks like detailing, inspection etc and because you have a less viable seller if there is a problem.  A dealer might work something out or do some repairs if they sell you a lemon, a private seller - no way. So you expect a lower price from a private seller, plus they do not have overhead to cover.  If it is a dealer I might go look at it just to learn even though we are not buying right now.  With a private party sale, I would not do that.  I would not even contact them with questions unless we were really excited about the RV.  I do not want to bother an individual or get them excited.  Thus, if you are getting no contact whatsoever it does not mean people are not looking at your ad.  From my perspective, the more detail the seller includes the more interested I am.  I am especially interested in upgrades and add ons as I see that as one of the advantages over buying new.  Did you add solar?  Three extra batteries?  Lego blocks for leveling? 

2.  I look on craigslist, E-bay,  and Facebook, and especially RV forums to see what private sellers are offering.  Sites like RV trader seem to be nearly all dealers even when they say they are not dealers.  There are two reasons private party sale is appealing to me: a.  I do not want to pay the dealer mark up. I can clean the RV myself as long as it is reasonably clean and maintained to begin with,  and I will have it professionally inspected before I buy one from anywhere.  b.  All of our camping stuff is old worn and tent camping oriented.  I like the idea of finding an RV already fitted out with some of the essentials (folding chairs and tables, specialty tools, fun stuff.).  It saves a little money and a lot of figuring out what you need and then shopping.  The dealers remove everything from the RV that is too bad.  Eventually I will probably replace most of that stuff, but it would be nice to not have to track it down and buy it at first. 

3.  Craigslist is mostly scams, so I am cautious about contacting anyone through CL.  I would focus more on Facebook, E-bay and forum for sale sections. 

4.  Although we are still considering both MH and 5th wheel, the floor plan is critical to us and I think to most people, thus you will have to wait until someone looking for your particular set up comes along.  Some people want or need bunks for kids or guests, others want living space for just two people and do not want to waste any of it on guest space.  Some want two doors, propane fridge, electric fridge,  solar chargers, etc.  I think most people are going to be looking for something very specific. 

5.  If I see an Rv for sale in front of a house that looks appealing and I was ready to buy one, I would stop and look.  To me that is where I perceive I will find a better bargain, plus I know it is not a dealer or flipper, not a scam, I can see at least its exterior condition before I bother talking to/meeting with the owner, I can see if they have a place to store it indoors so I have a better idea whether they are lying when they say it was always stored indoors (everyone says that, I saw one with a for sale sign at an outdoor storage place near me and later saw it advertised on CL.  Ad said "Always stored indoors"  I saw it sitting in the storage yard all winter.). 

6.  When we buy a "practice" Rv in a year or three, we will be looking for a bargain and it is most likely we will find one somewhere with a for sale sign on it.  Frankly we will not be all that picky, mostly looking for something we can clean a bit and it is ready to go.  However we will not tough anything with any sign of ever having had a water leak or any soft spots  - wouldn't take it for free.  When we buy our retirement home RV, it will be very specific.  We will buy if from whomever has it, possibly even a dealer if we cannot find what we want from a private sale.  In that case, a few thousand dollars difference will not matter as much as getting exactly what we want. 

7.  Hunting for private sales, I find a lot of people start out way over priced.  They see dealer asking prices and think that should get that or close to it, or more.  Everyone thinks their particular RV is better.  I also see some RVs where the pictures show they are filthy or worse yet water damaged.  I do not care if it is detailed spotless - that usually means you are actually a dealer or flipper.  However a Filthy RV is not very appealing.  It reflects owners who probably did not bother with maintenance. 

8.  Having complete maintenance records is a big plus.  Especially roof maintenance.  My biggest concern is water damage/mold.  Mechanical/electrical I can fix. 

9.  I have found real private party sales are very hard to locate.  I think most used RVs that are not really old are trade ins.  I suggest you put "Private Party Sale" in big bold letters on your ad. 

10.  If you include things, the RV has more appeal.  For example, if someone included Kayaks or bicycles we might be more likely to jump on an RV for sale.  The seperate value of such things is usually pretty small.  You can always knock off a few hundred as a credit to exclude them if the buyer does not want them, but an all in package has a lot of appeal to us.  The more things we would have to buy that are included the better (MH towing set up, 5th wheel hitch, bike rack, etc.)  Not sure about others. 

Jensen,

It is obvious you have been doing lots of research and reading lots of forum posts.  GREAT START!  That is where I started, too.

In my experience, yo have a few inaccurate expectations.  New units should sell for 25% - 30% off MSRP.  Often, those internet prices are significantly below MSRP.  There is still room to negotiate, but not necessarily 30%.  If their internet price is not competitive, no one will look further.

I agree buying used, but you may or may not get many extras.  Our camper did NOT include water hoses or sewer hoses, or any other extras.  The hoses that come with new units are &*#%, and the seller had bought a new TT and moved the better water and sewer hoses to it.  It was very clean and in excellent condition.  I paid $500 less than asking price.  His price was right on the NADA price.

I would want a floor plan at least close to your ideal for the first camper.  If it is way off of ideal, you will be unable to do as much fine tuning for your "perfect" RV.

I agree on looking at lots of dealer inventory.  We looked at one private sale RV we did not buy, and it was close to what we wanted and 4 miles from the house.

You are clearly moving the right direction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom