Types of generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DennisinMaine

Greetings
As you may know, I purchased an older (1994) Class A with relatively low miles. I expected I would have to shell out a significant sum to get it up to snuff. For example, the tires have lots of tread and look great. But I found a code that I believe says 0107, so those pretty tires may have to be replaced before I take an extended trip.
But my specific question is the generator. There is an Onan generator, I expect OEM. The seller told me it was not working for him, so I took it in to Cummins to be checked. After $300 of checking, it needs a lot of work and they are not sure they can get the parts anyway. A comparable new replacement is upwards of 5K. Am I right?
I am considering a portable generator which seem to run around 1K. But where would I put it? Can the present generator compartment be modified to hold it? It does not look big enough. I plan to tow a car. Maybe the tow rig can carry it and I can set it up on the ground. Or maybe I would have to surrender some inside space to put it while we drive.
Is there a particular type to look for? I see that some generators are described as "inverter generators." Do I need that or, since an inverter is automatically build in to a motor home, do I get the other kind?
For example, this is described as an inverter generator: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-2000-Watt-Generator-Compliant/dp/B01END4IES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526929601&sr=8-4&keywords=generators&th=1
It is quite a bit more expensive that ones that are not so described, such as: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Power-Equipment-3400-Running-Watt-Portable-Generator-with-Engine/1000178143?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-Generators-_-1000178143:Champion_Power_Equipment&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000178143&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2265&k_clickID=9531ca3f-bcca-4eee-8dff-e9f4f2293f5f&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3InYBRCLARIsAG6bfMQZfvr_ed_uUr26BYUwjMju4U6KIi4U7Ud5HWUXrQ9lChZBtgWpaeAaAg4YEALw_wcB
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dennis

If not replacing with a generator designed for built-in use for an RV, I would suggest an inverter type generator. The second one you linked is considered a "construction" type generator. If you use one of them, everyone within a half mile of you will be ready to string you up. Quiet is the key.

This generator, which seems to be pretty close to the old one is "only" $3,000.  https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Cummins-Onan-RV-QG-4000/p6212.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdw7pUifMlLAxHQRWuFH9KGl3vXI_g0FYs91BBXjQoLCUWAz0WimhH4RoC0v0QAvD_BwE

BTW, I forgot to mention the guy at Cummins said the house batteries have to be replaced, can't hold a charge.  :-[

BTW, I forgot to mention the guy at Cummins said the house batteries have to be replaced, can't hold a charge.

This may be the key. Many generators are started and kept running by the house batteries.

Installation would add a few more dollars to the price of the $3,000 generator. 

We carry a Honda 2000 in one of our bays.  But ours is a lot lighter than the one you posted.  Moving ours in and out of the bay is a pain in the back, literally.  Ours only weighs about 55 lbs.  The larger ones that you would need to run the AC are going to be close to 100 lbs or more.  I've seen generators mounted on hitch racks.  That might be a consideration if installing in a bay won't work.  Of course then you have theft concerns and wiring. 

Can you post pictures of your motorhome.  Specifically the bay that the generator is housed in. 

Recommendations:
IF you can afford it ONan Emerald Gold, Story follows
Next is "other onan" or Generac RV generator
IF you wish you can go without for a bit and see how much you need it, A Honda 3,000 may do the job or a pair of 2000 that is the EU-200i and EU-2000i Companion model (they make a pair) with parallel cable.  But those you'd convert the Generator compartment to a STORAGE compartment and set them OUTSIDE for use.

There are competitors to the hondas. like Yahama which are good too. Honda has one unique feature that makes them great. (A fuel pump. can suck gas out of an external tank)

Portables have other advantages as well.

But to install I really like my Onan Gold.

Story
I ran about 100 feet of cord of assorted weights from teh RV to a distribution box and as we plugged in the Field Day Chair said to me "You can start the generator now"
It was already running 100' away, low noise enviorment and he could not hear it.

A couple years later (different site same event) I was standing demonstrating how hot my Gen-Turi got by holding it in muy hand generator running.. We did not have to raise voices to talk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom