New to Rving and looking to renovate a Tiffen Allegro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsynurse

Hi all! I'm so excited to be a part of this fun community! I'm a travel nurse and I can't wait to be able to bring my home with me wherever I go! I really like the older Tiffens, especially the 1990's ones.

I haven't found one yet and I am incredibly nervous about buying a dud, especially since I know nothing about engines. I know about looking for the water stains, as well and quality of the roofing ect. With this part any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to renovate the interior myself with the help of friends and family.

I did a good amount of research about how to "take apart" and renovate vans/rvs, here's what I've got so far.
I need a good idea of where I'm going to wire all of my solar batteries and wiring, then I can precede to rip everything out and caulk anything that's a seam. My electrician neighbor will help me with the wiring of the solar panels. Around the shell I will then 1) marine paint 2)foam insulation 3) spray foam 4)flooring/walls 5) the paint or linoleum flooring.

I have an idea of the low wattage fridge I want to instal and the wood burning stove (did the most research on that since it's the scariest, but It HAS been done! :D)

the bathroom is what's stumping me.

I know this is a longer post, but any little bit helps! thanks all  :) :) :)

Welcome to the Forum!

You feel uncomfortable with the mechanical / chassis parts, so get a thorough inspection by a quality mechanic before buying anything.  Any other parts you plan to keep - A/C or furnace, water heater, etc. should be examined and operated to verify condition.

Nothing too tough about bathrooms other than making sure toilet drains to the black tank, and sink and shower drain to the gray tank.

I would NEVER put a wood burning fireplace in ANY RV!  I have a wood burning fireplace in my house (actually two) and heated our last house with wood and a fireplace insert.  I am NOT opposed to burning wood.  My concerns are
1.)  Safety in a tinder box (RV), 
2.)  Need for the stove in the many locations to which you will travel, 
3.)  The weight of the stove,
4.)  Space considerations,
5.)  Availability of firewood where you are, 
6.)  Laws against transporting firewood across state lines, and 
7.)  Economic benefits given the limitations.

I love your interior remodel ideas!

Take a look at the Tiffin specific forums. I think you will find a number of people who still drive mid to late 1990s Tiffin without having to gut them. I agree completely with Gordon about the wood stove. There are sooooo many places that will have restrictions on fires, and many mountain areas have restrictions on wood burning in the winter due to pollution. Use propane for your heating. It isn?t very expensive, and it works very well. Adding solar doesn?t mean having to do anything exceptional; many people add them on.

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate your help and time :) Hopefully I'll get my rig soon and be able to start the work!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom