Camping in hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  Thing about it, an ammeter will only tell you if the compressor is running or not, not how it?s performing. It can be pulling the correct amps, but if non-condensible gas (air) is in the system it can be showing appropriate amps but still not cool right. It?s not the same as a volt/ohm meter you said you had. Also, the thermometer method is a good indicator, but it?s assuming your ductwork is all properly sealed nice and tight. A twenty degree differential between the return air and the supply air says your unit is performing as much as it can. But, just because you might see a 10 degree temperature differential between return/supply air doesn?t necessarily mean the compressor/condenser isn?t doing it?s job. There are other things that can cause it. I like the little portable AC unit because it?s on wheels, easy to move around, and under normal camping trips we don?t even take it. But if a lot of kids involved, or expecting really hot weather....we pack it along.

Boonieman said:
  Thing about it, an ammeter will only tell you if the compressor is running or not, not how it?s performing. It can be pulling the correct amps, but if non-condensible gas (air) is in the system it can be showing appropriate amps but still not cool right. It?s not the same as a volt/ohm meter you said you had. Also, the thermometer method is a good indicator, but it?s assuming your ductwork is all properly sealed nice and tight. A twenty degree differential between the return air and the supply air says your unit is performing as much as it can. But, just because you might see a 10 degree temperature differential between return/supply air doesn?t necessarily mean the compressor/condenser isn?t doing it?s job. There are other things that can cause it. I like the little portable AC unit because it?s on wheels, easy to move around, and under normal camping trips we don?t even take it. But if a lot of kids involved, or expecting really hot weather....we pack it along.

Makes total sense to me - the hubs just doesn't want to be concerned with it.  It's pretty frustrating actually, but hey - such is the issue between men and women at times...I'll work on him.  I've got him on the phone with his HVAC buddy right now; hopefully the fire has been lit under his salty rear-end.    :mad:

Good luck and happy camping. The HVAC buddy is the way to go to know for sure what the system is doing. I can tolerate as cold as weather as you can get. Trying to sleep in a hot camper would make me sell mine.

Boonieman said:
Good luck and happy camping. The HVAC buddy is the way to go to know for sure what the system is doing. I can tolerate as cold as weather as you can get. Trying to sleep in a hot camper would make me sell mine.

Yes'sir, I'm totally fine with cold -- it's miserable when it's hot...

Thank you all so much for all your help; this forum is pretty awesome.  I'll post some pictures of the other cooling tips I'm doing - that'll be good for a laugh or two for you guys  ;D

I've had seven RVs. Why?  Because the previous RVs lacked something we wanted or needed. It takes a while to get the RV you want.

So your next RV purchase, I guess within two years, will have two powerful working air conditioners. That will always be the first thing you look at when buying another RV. Oh and make sure the slideouts have covers. Very important for cooling purposes.

Now if you were a real woman you'd sit your sweety down and explain to him why you aren't going to cook this July. Be firm.....

From many years of camping in warm places with only one air conditioner it is my hard held opinion that one is just not enough.  I remember laying in a pool of sweat and trying unsuccessfully to get to sleep after a long day of off roading.

Yeah, I thought I wasn't effected by the cold until I spent a year in Natick and Framingham MA one January. 

Yeah, I grew up in South Dakota and can have some pretty chilly winters there. Just got back from a couple week fishing trip in April. Several days the wind was brutal. We stayed at the campgrounds below the Oahe Dam. No worries about being too warm. I loved it.

Get a small fan or two to help circulate the air inside the RV.  A little 8" desk fan (about $10 at WalMart) can make a big difference by moving the air around compared to sitting (or sleeping) in a mostly stagnant pool of air.

I have one I put on the front counter of my trailer and let it sweep back and forth across the main room when the A/C is on.  Without the fan it seems like the cold air just falls out of the overhead vents and settles near the floor while the air in the middle (at head height when seated) stays warmer.  Especially in the slideout, which is less insulated than the rest of the trailer.

With the fan running, it feels like the cold air is more evenly distributed throughout the room and I don't feel as much radiant heat from the slideout walls.

We have the vents directly under the unit open as we figured this would mean less loss of cooling by not traveling the other vents to other rooms.

You might get less cooling that way.  The "shower" vents are meant for a fast cool-down while you stand under them, not prolonged usage.

The problem is the evaporator coil has a low temperature cutout so it doesn't get too cold and ice up.  With the cold air exiting directly adjacent to the intake the A/C might be drawing in cold air instead of hot air, reducing the performance of the unit.

ever thought about going somewhere its not 100 degrees colorado is pretty nice in july..

You said it never got ABOVE 90, I think you meant BELOW

But that said. Many air conditioners need to be cleaned, and by that I mean up on the roof, Remove oouter and on non-coleman units INNER covers (on cannon just the outer) and clean the condenser coils.  they get rather well logged so air can not pass through them.

And that may well fix it.

Watch for icing on the evaporator (Cold) coils as well. though this will reduce air flow if it happens. and happen it does

Clean any filters

Then use a thermometer in the out flow.. Start withthe room at least in the high 70's. turn to HIGH FAN and take a reading. Now turn to HIGH cool and take a reading or readings (if the temp drops keep reading till it bottoms out) and post the results.

I have twin 1500's one coleman one Advent air with a coleman fan (Makes it easier to clean, see above) and this blanged house is often 90+ even when it's much cooler out.

Arch Hoagland said:
I've had seven RVs. Why?  Because the previous RVs lacked something we wanted or needed. It takes a while to get the RV you want.

So your next RV purchase, I guess within two years, will have two powerful working air conditioners. That will always be the first thing you look at when buying another RV. Oh and make sure the slideouts have covers. Very important for cooling purposes.

Now if you were a real woman you'd sit your sweety down and explain to him why you aren't going to cook this July. Be firm.....
Absolutely!  My current one has one 15,000 btu unit but my next one (a 35 foot fifth wheel toy hauler) will have one 15,000 and two 13,500 btu units.  I HATE being hot when relaxing or sleeping.

Arch Hoagland said:

Holy smokes....7 RV's?!  Well, I suppose they're always putting something neat on the new ones - got to get us to buy them somehow.  We did discuss it some more; he's pretty stubborn so it took his HVAC buddy's advice to ring his bell.  Arg!  Some men are just too macho for their own good! 

8Muddypaws said:
From many years of camping in warm places with only one air conditioner it is my hard held opinion that one is just not enough.  I remember laying in a pool of sweat and trying unsuccessfully to get to sleep after a long day of off roading.

Yeah, I thought I wasn't effected by the cold until I spent a year in Natick and Framingham MA one January.

Oh my goodness, it's brutal!  I used to think I could handle anything, definitely not a complainer but wow, having an a/c - expecting it to work to keep my body from meltdown - and then sitting in a 90 degree tin-can - for anything more than 30 minutes was unbearable. 

As far as the cold, I'm not a huge fan of the super cold but I feel like it's more feasible than extreme heat...now I'm sure since I've said that, the hubs is going to want to take a trip someplace frigid just to test out my theory...

Ron2012 said:
ever thought about going somewhere its not 100 degrees colorado is pretty nice in july..

Ha, I LIVE in Colorado.  Never need the a/c where we go and we live in the Foothills so never have to deal with the city heat BUT we also have a boat and the waters of Lake Powell are amazing: clear blue, clean - the rock formations are a sight to behold (and so is the HEAT).  Holy cow.  Can you believe the first time we went, 2 years ago, we TENT CAMPED.  :eek: Neverrrrrr again.

John From Detroit said:
You said it never got ABOVE 90, I think you meant BELOW

But that said. Many air conditioners need to be cleaned, and by that I mean up on the roof, Remove oouter and on non-coleman units INNER covers (on cannon just the outer) and clean the condenser coils.  they get rather well logged so air can not pass through them.

And that may well fix it.

Watch for icing on the evaporator (Cold) coils as well. though this will reduce air flow if it happens. and happen it does

Clean any filters

Then use a thermometer in the out flow.. Start withthe room at least in the high 70's. turn to HIGH FAN and take a reading. Now turn to HIGH cool and take a reading or readings (if the temp drops keep reading till it bottoms out) and post the results.

I have twin 1500's one coleman one Advent air with a coleman fan (Makes it easier to clean, see above) and this blanged house is often 90+ even when it's much cooler out.

I did??!!  Well, I definitely meant below...I must have residual heat stroke too.  Ha. 

I've been so busy with work that I haven't made it to check it's cleanliness and/or test the temperature per the instructions all of you great guys have given me - but I will have time tomorrow after work and I'll be over there to get it done.  I'll post what I get, for sure.

We're definitely getting a portable a/c, and I've already worked out how I'm going to fit it in one of the small windows in the back, a black one to match the interior of our toy hauler AND after reading some other forum posts, I've decided to get some of that reflective foil bubble stuff and cut it nicely to fit my windows, I think instead of sticking velcro everywhere and ruining the walls, I'll get some of those 3M no-damage sticky things that you can put the hooks on, then I'll use elastic bands on the bubble stuff to hook them onto.  Did that make sense?  I'm bound and determined to beat the heat this time... 8)

gravesdiesel said:
Absolutely!  My current one has one 15,000 btu unit but my next one (a 35 foot fifth wheel toy hauler) will have one 15,000 and two 13,500 btu units.  I HATE being hot when relaxing or sleeping.

I don't think it's even possible to imagine relaxing or sleeping when it's 90 degrees inside  :( :eek:

FYI, for what it?s worth I usually bring an extension cord when I think I?m gonna use the portable AC. Most campsite power pedestals have a separate 120 receptacle on them. I just run the cord to the AC from the pedestal. ( heavy duty extension cord) Maybe not necessary, but it does keep you from tripping a breaker on a circuit in your RV, depending on how your power load on receptacles inside the camper are configured.

Back
Top Bottom