Generator Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

I have an 6500 Onan Emerald 3 generator that has ran just fine as late as 2 days ago. Tonight I went to start it up to run the A/C and it would only start holding the throttle wide open but, stop as soon as I would let off the start switch at the unit. Any Ideas would be appreciated, has plenty of gas in the tank

any chance the problem could have something to do with the transfer switch? I had the coach plugged into a small cord last night while running the a/c fan only and, lights, when I started the vacuum each time the switch made its contact noises longer than a normal switch of just a click in noise. I have been reading about relays and diodes, control boards, looks like it can get complicated for me, I do not do well with electricity

My 5500 Marquis Gold abruptly started dying as soon as the start switch was released.
Turned out there was a short in the transfer switch.
If I shut off the breaker on the genny it would run normally.

One of our forum members (Well 2 of 'em actually) had a problem in Quartsite back on '07' as I recall. Started find but soon as you let up on the START button it stalled out and flashed the code for "Low battery, not cranking fast enough"

Needed to service the GENERATOR part of the assembly, brushes worn out as I recall. Was a bit expensive to fix.

No problem turning over fast enough here, batteries are up to snuff. It started today and runs fine, ran the a/c a bit so, nothing was solved I guess. It will quit when we really need it and, stranded someplace

Dean.. I should have been more specific When I* spoke of the forum member who had generator issues. The thing started just fine But soon as you let off the button it shut down an flashed the code for Low batt not cranking fast enough.

The problem was it did not KNOW it had started because it was not making with the 120 volts.

You need to read your error code and tell us what it is once it stops the light will flash in a number or 3. Ie 3 flashes then five flashes i8s 35

It may flash each number 3 times  3 3 3 5 5 5 3 3 3 5 5 5 like that.

Jot down the numbers and post  There is also a way to recall the number (I think tap the stop switch) but without re-reading the manual I'm not sure.

John From Detroit said:
Dean.. I should have been more specific When I* spoke of the forum member who had generator issues. The thing started just fine But soon as you let off the button it shut down an flashed the code for Low batt not cranking fast enough.

The problem was it did not KNOW it had started because it was not making with the 120 volts.

You need to read your error code and tell us what it is once it stops the light will flash in a number or 3. Ie 3 flashes then five flashes i8s 35

It may flash each number 3 times  3 3 3 5 5 5 3 3 3 5 5 5 like that.

Jot down the numbers and post  There is also a way to recall the number (I think tap the stop switch) but without re-reading the manual I'm not sure.
where is this flashing going on that you are talking about? I do not see any board with lights

I ran the generator tonight and ran the a/c also, the a/c ran fine then the compressor kicked out so, I turned the thermostat colder and, when the compressor kicked in again everything went out. One of the breakers on the generators was tripped. ???

The flashing would be in the generator start switch, but I doubt if your '89 LaSalle has a genset with electronic self-diagnostics that would produce the flashes that John described. 

There are two possibilities for the problem you describe:
1. The a/c compressor is drawing far to many amps.  Can you hook up to shore power briefly to see if it also trips the breaker on that source?
2. The genset voltage regular & speed governor are working and the genset does not respond when the power load increases. When the compressor kicks in and the amps jump dramatically, the genset must respond quickly by opening the throttle to keep the RPMs up. If it doesn't, it will either die or a breaker trips because the voltage drops and the amps go up.

You can get a better idea about the genset governor by using a different heavy load, e.g. an electric space heater. If the genset or breaker goes out with that, the problem is more likely the genset than the a/c unit.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The flashing would be in the generator start switch, but I doubt if your '89 LaSalle has a genset with electronic self-diagnostics that would produce the flashes that John described. 

There are two possibilities for the problem you describe:
1. The a/c compressor is drawing far to many amps.  Can you hook up to shore power briefly to see if it also trips the breaker on that source?
2. The genset voltage regular & speed governor are working and the genset does not respond when the power load increases. When the compressor kicks in and the amps jump dramatically, the genset must respond quickly by opening the throttle to keep the RPMs up. If it doesn't, it will either die or a breaker trips because the voltage drops and the amps go up.

You can get a better idea about the genset governor by using a different heavy load, e.g. an electric space heater. If the genset or breaker goes out with that, the problem is more likely the genset than the a/c unit.
Gary, you are correct, no electronics on my generator, I will move the coach tomorrow night where I can plug into an 30 amp outlet I set up for the motorhome outside of the garage. I can use a Fluke clamp on meter to check the draw of the a/c unit. I have a couple of 1500 watt heaters I can use to check things out also

Back
Top Bottom